47: PROTEGO

Another gunshot echoed as it slowly pierced again to my leg. And with the scent of the blood lingering in the vicinity, the centipedes were pouring down rapidly quiver to my direction as if they are thirsty for my blood. My lips trembled as I slowly reach for the gun wounds, my blood was thicker and darker than it should be, and somehow its smell was different.

I slowly glanced towards the centipedes, and they were gathered to the pool of blood plummeting down from my legs. And with a tiny taste of it, they began to squirm in distress as if they were being poisoned by it. The centipedes started to crawl back to my mother, whose eyes were oozing with curiosity as she looked at me. But when she welcomed them, her eyes grew terrified.

“What did you do…”

I smirked at her. I carefully stood up, using the katana to support my weight.

“Isn’t that the reason why you can’t feel my presence?” I mumbled. Right, she only felt Alex earlier, but when her eyes adjusted, it was the only time she noticed me.

In the corner of my eyes, I saw the silhouette raising the gun, making me turn and deflect the bullet. And when I was about to speak, I heard the sound of an airplane nearby as well as the sudden impact of a strong wind. It made most of the centipede fly away, but some made their way back to my mother’s body.

“Oh. The guests are here!”

Dahan-dahan na bumaba ang eroplano at halos manlambot ako dahil tila wala lahat ng pagpaplanong ginawa ko upang alisin sila sa delubyong ito. Ang mga kasama kong iniwan ko, maging ang mga magulang naming lahat ay isa-isang bumaba sa eroplano habang nakaposas at mula sa likuran nila ay may isang lalaki na ang nagtututok ng baril.

“Samson, her blood is already useless.” I heard my mother said.

Nang lingunin ko siya, tila ba’y parang inaasahan niya na mangyayari ang bagay na ito. Tila muling kinilita ang buong katawan niya nang lumabas ang napakaraming centipede mula rito, mabilis na nagsamasama ang mga ito hanggang sa unti-unting nabuo ang isang trono na kaniyang inupan. At nang magtama ang mga mata namin, isang ngisi ang kumubra rito.

“I am your mother, Amira. I knew everything that comes to your mind, my dear.” She chuckled, making me bite my bottom lip out of frustration. I gasped for air as I slowly looked to the people I wanted to save and the person who most likely watched every move I made.

“You should have died earlier. Mourn my ass,” I jeered.

The woman who shot me multiple times laughed softly and glanced towards the people who thought she died, “I don’t die, Amira—Scratch that, we don’t die. Even if you destroy my legs again, they will just grow back afterward.”

Tanginang plano ‘yan, nasira lang dahil sa bruhang si Kelly. Iindahan ko muna saglit ang mga baling binaon mo sa binti ko, lagot ka sa aking bruha ka mamaya. Hindi lang binti ang mawawala sa’yo.

“How could you betray us?!”

Kelly softly chuckled and said, “How can I not? Sa tingin mo ba’y basta-basta ko lamang makukuha ang isang pahina ng diary ng walang kahit anong eksplenasyon? You’re quite stupid, Amira.”

Saglit akong napaatras nang magmistulang mga kamay ang mga centipede at inaabot sa ‘kin ang isang syringe na may kulay pulang likido.

“Amira, don’t inject that thing into your body! Please, anak!” I heard my father screamed.

A wicked smile quickly appeared on my mother’s lips as he glanced towards Kelly and Samson, “If you want to save them… Offer your blood to me.” I grimaced while looking at her. Women can be really cunning at times, huh? “Especially, what’s the harm? Kelly looks fine as well as Samson.”