9: CHEERLEADERS

Cara and I made it out silently and successfully. The Nighties are still not aware of our presence, and I think they are just goners with a long and strong tongue.

“Do you even know how to fight, Stupid?” I asked.

She suddenly rolled her eyes at me and frowned, “Of course! Sino bang hindi matututo sa apocalypse na ‘to?”

We are hiding at the side of the RV with our body slammed on it. We are at the other where the moonlight can’t reach upang hindi rin kami makita ng mga Nighties. I quizzically looked at her when I noticed she was intently looking at the katana that I was holding.

“How long are you planning on hiding your secret, Amira?” She asked.

“What do you mean?”

She scowled and gave me a disgusted look, “Don’t pretend that we didn’t know each other, Amira. Simula pa lang, alam ko ang dugong nanalaytay sa’yo,”

“Shut up, Cara,”

“After all, I was Alex’s—”

“I said, shut up!”

Parehas nanlaki ang mga mata namin dahil sa pagsigaw ko. Dahan-dahan kaming lumingon kung nasaan ang mga Nighties, they were looking at us. I gritted my teeth as I run towards the other direction while Cara went to the top of the RV.

Two Nighties went in my direction, and I immediately unsheathed the katana. Their tongues were dripping thick saliva, but it was not the problem. The main struggle was their tongue; it was hard to cut when it straightened and was so soft when it curls.

Ang Nighties sa kaliwa ko ay sumugod sa akin with its tongue straightened up.

“Hurdler! Hurdler!” I heard Cara shouted. Wala na ako oras para lumimgon sa kanya ngunit ginawa ko ang inuutos niya sa akin.

I keep my chest up, lift my right leg in front of me, kicked my back leg, and bend my knee. I used the chance to slit through the Nighties throat, which made its tongue to curl up.

Hindi na ako nag ako nag aksa pa ng oras at mabilis kong hinati sa dalawa ang dila niya bago pa ito muling tumiwid. I used the Nighties body as I shield to the other one and slid to its bottom area.

Sumugod sa akin ang isa pang Nighties habang nakalapat pa ako sa kalsada. I was about to take another form when Cara suddenly landed on the Nighties, piercing her hunter’s knife on its nape. And she used the other knife to cut the tongue in half.

“You’re welcome,” Cara mumbled as she pulled the hunter’s knife on the nape.

I dashed towards the three Nighties and swiftly sliced their legs. Nang pareparehas silang lumupasay sa sahig ay hindi ko na pilampas ang tyansa na putulin ang dila nila. Still, when I was about to kill the last one— its curled tongue straightened, making it become hard as steel.

Naramdaman ko ang vibration sa katawan ko ng matamaan ng katana ang dila nito. The Nighties can no longer walk, but it was able to defend its self. Pinaling niya ang ulo sa ibang direksyon dahilan upang magmistulang espada ang dila niya.

I avoided the tongue by piercing the Nighties head and lifting my body to gallop.

At nang bumaluktot ang nga dila nito ay mabilis ko itong hiniwa. Another wave of growling was coming towards our direction. Tahimik akong nag bilang kung ilan pa ang Nighties na papunta sa direksyon namin at kung malinaw pa ang mata ko ay anim lahat iyon.

But their eyes were more bloody than the others, “Oh, shit!” I exclaimed.

Mabilis akong tumakbo papunta sa RV nang makita ko kung gaano kaliksi ang isa sa kanila. The Nighties used its tongue to maneuver over my direction.

Nang sumugod sa akin ang Nighties habang diretso ang dila nito ay agad ko itong iniwasan sa pamamagitan nang pagtakbo sa pader ng RV upang umikot ako sa ere.

I landed on its back, making me pierce my katana to its head. I quickly drifted my attention to Cara as soon as I cut its tongue.

Three Nighties approached Cara, and she was running all over the place. She was gripping at the hunter’s knives pero sa tingin ko ay hindi siya makakuha ng tamang tyansa upang magamit ang mga ito.

I noticed a stone nearby, and an idea came into my mind. Pinaltok ko ang isang Nighties sa kanyang hita dahilan upang mapayuko ang katawan nito, “Do the pyramid!” I instructed.

“You want me to that stunt with the Bozos—”

“Just do it, Dumbass!”

Alam niyang wala s’yang ibang choice kung hindi ang sundin ako. She dashed towards the Nighties, leaning to the ground, and used its body to jump towards the other two Nighties’ shoulder, making her soar the air.

“At my back,” I said.

She nodded, and I slid towards the Nighties who were chasing her earlier. At bago pa man makalingon ang mga Nighties ay agad kong pinugot ang mga ulo nila. And the clueless one was executed peacefully.

And when I looked back, I saw Cara kicking the Nighties’ face in mid-air and used the other to make her landing successful. Afterward, she killed them.

Naramdaman ko ang dahan-dahan na pamamagod ng katawan ko kasabay ang pagsilip ng araw. Kusang pumikit ang aking mga mata habang tinutungkod ko ang katana upang manatili akong nakatayo.

“Fuck, I’m sleepy,” I mumbled.

Dahan-dahan kong inangat ang ulo ko at napansin kong iniwan pala ako ng bobong kasama ko. Putangina.

Tumakbo ako papunta sa RV bago pa ito tuluyan na magsarado, at binigyan ng isang masamang tingin si Cara. Kusang bumitaw ang kamay ko sa hawak kong katana ng tuluyan akong makapasok. I don’t even know how fast I removed my shoes. I swiftly went back to Parker’s side and slamming my body to the be, which made me love its softness, and quickly closed my eyes.

The tiring midnight fight with the Nighties made me realize that my former co-cheerleader could make a good combination. Even though I really hate her.

And also, that fight made me realize that Parker can be the most huggable pillow in the world.

Soft and cozy.

“Hey…” I heard him whispered. But I didn’t budge to move, and instead, I hugged him tighter.

“Stay still, inaantok ako,”

“Ako ang mag-aadjust?”

I softly sighed and buried my face in his chest, “Hug me then, kung naiinggit ka,”

“We can hear, and see you, Mommy,” I heard Spencer said.

Wala akong pakielam. Basta inaantok ako.

“Omg. I didn’t know na ganito na si Amira. Rawr,” Chi murmured.

Parker softly laughed and caressed my hair. At nang maramdaman kong balak umimik ni Tyler ay dinilat ko ang mga mata ko at tumingin sa kanya ng masama, “Don’t you fucking dare comment,”

“I— I’m not even saying a thing!”

“THEN FUCKING DRIVE TO THE NEXT CITY!”

#