39: TABOO

I frustratingly bit my bottom lip as the man in front of me suddenly covered the light coming from the sun along with his brooding face. I can hear the guards talking, commanding not far away from our direction, but he seems stiff and does not even care if someone might catch us.

“Move…” I said and lightly pushed him in order to run away from the apostles.

Parker scoffed and looked at me with disbelief, and instead of moving, he used the strength of his muscular body and leaned his body to mine. The warm sensation of the wall clung to my back, making me glared at him.

“You have the guts to expose yourself in front of the apostles, so why run away?” He bitterly asked.

“You’re having a good time earlier… So, why do you care?”

I mightily kicked his leg pero tiniis lamang ni gago ang sakit no’n at nanatili sa kanyang puwesto. Nang tinuon niya ang kanyang palad at pinangharang ang kanyang braso sa aking gilid ay napairap na lamang ako sa kanya.

“Anong sabi mo?”

“Maybe ask the one holding your hand earlier,” I whispered.

Pinagtaasan n’ya ako ng kilay dahilan upang makipagtagisan s’ya ng tingin sa akin. Sa sobrang hina siguro nang pagkakasalita ko’y hindi niya iyon narinig pero wala akong pakielam kung narinig man niya iyon o hindi.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang dahan-dahan niyang sinubsob ang sarili sa akin kasabay ang isang nakaaasar na ngisi. Tila nabato ako sa aking puwesto nang bigla na lamang niyang pinatong ang kanyang noo sa ‘kin, ilang mura ang nais lumabas sa aking bibig ngunit nanatili lamang akong tahimik.

“Why are you angry? Hindi ba dapat ay ako ang magalit?” I tried avoiding his eyes, but given the position we have, I can’t. I can feel disappointment in his eyes, and the way his lips trembles somehow scare the shit out of me, “You freaking put Katalina’s name in their system! Cara immediately knew it once she tried hacking that old guard’s computer, and now you’ll show up to the apostles like that! You knew that we are doing everything to protect you from your father!”

“Then stop protecting me! You can still walk out, Parker—napakadali lang!”

He suddenly scowled and bitterly laughed, “Do you really think that walking away from you is easy?”

“You can still—” I wasn’t able to finish my sentence when he suddenly covered my mouth using the filthy hand that Sierra held. We heard footsteps silently walking towards our hiding place while Parker was trying his best to lean over me to cover my body.

“Hmmm!” I struggled and gave all my might to remove his dirty hand covering my mouth when both of our eyes automatically widened because the door behind me suddenly disappeared, making us fall to the ground.

“Tangina…”

“No one is here, Commander.” I looked up and saw Parker on the top of me, and behind him was a thick wall.

The sudden change of the surrounding made me baffled. I roamed my sight around and saw myself in a living room. Buong lakas ko naman na tinulak si Parker dahilan upang umangil s’ya, dahan-dahan akong naglakad patungo sa pader at kinatok ito. Nang pinatong ko ang tainga ko ro’n ay narinig ko ang walang humpay na sigawan ng mg apostles maging ang kanilang mabibigat na martsa.

Laking pasasalamat na lang dahil may sikretong lagusan dito, kung hindi umikot ang pader na ito ay siguradong mahuhuli na kami ro’n. Pero bakit hindi nila alam ang lugar na ‘to? I mean, this place is part of Besodiah, right?