Chapter 3

A hooded figure walked along the bushy pathway in the dark hours of the morning. His aim only known to him alone. Stopping by a large rock underneath a cashew tree, the figure sat down and leant his head against the tree and relaxed. Pulling out a cigarette from his pocket, he lit it and sighed in pleasure as he inhaled the smoke, a smile of relief plastering on his face. Drumming his fingers on his thigh, he began to ruminate on the latest events that had transpired so far:

The boy was finally here and moments away from being in his grasp. The one he had tracked for years was finally within reach and all he had to do was get him to be alone and that’s all.

The problem? An irritating obstacle in form of a certain person kept on getting in the way and it was beginning to piss him off. Speaking of obstacles….

“I know you are here.” He growled as he sensed the presence of another being nearby. “You can come out now. It’s pathetic.”

A few feet from his left, another hooded figure stepped out of the darkness into the light illuminated by the moon.

“You know you had some real guts. Pulling that stunt yesterday.” The first man said, standing up and putting out his cigarette.

“What else were you expecting?" The stranger replied, the voice sounding a lot feminine. “ I was only protecting my insurance.”

“You know you can’t protect him forever.” The man said, a sinister grin etching into his face. “If it is not me, it’s going to be the others. They know where he is and they are coming for him. You think you can stand a chance?”

“ I can try."  She said.

“You can die trying.” He smiled momentarily and then his face became serious.
“What is wrong with you? why do you keep hiding from yourself and denying reality? This boy can be the answer to what we seek. No more hiding. No more weakness. What do you stand to gain from protecting him?”

“None of your business.” She growled.

“Oh, it’s my business alright and if you know what is good for you, you help us or stay out of our way. There is an impending war coming. A war we intend to win. So…”

The man stood and walked towards the other figure. He reached leaned closer until their faces were a few inches apart.
“ Who’s side are you on?”
……………………………………………………………………………

“ Dan, I can’t make it to lectures today.” Jake whispered as he squeezed himself under the covers of his blanket. His were eyes squeezed shut with pain obvious on face.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Daniel said.

He had already taken his shower , dressed up and was combing his hair.

“ I’m having serious headache and everything feels hot. I also feel like throwing up.” Jake groaned.

Daniel sighed and placed his forearm on his friend’s forehead. His temperature was very high.

“Malaria.” He muttered. “ Dude, you need to eat something right now. Then take some drugs.”

“You didn’t get the part where I said I feel like throwing up?” Jake said sarcastically. “ I don’t think I can eat anything.”

“ Just try, please.” Daniel pleaded. “I’ll make cornflakes for you. Even if you eat five spoonfuls. It’s alright.”

“He’s right.” One of their roommates added. “ Malaria is not something to play with. Just try and manage something.”

Jake turned to his friend. “ Alright.”