Chapter 20

“Doctor, how is his condition?” Daniel asked a woman who had just come out from the ward. She was wearing light spectacles  and a lab coat. And she looked like she was in her mid 40s. The crew had arrived at the hospital just in time and Jake was rushed in for treatment. His parents were notified by Esther and they quickly arrived like the  speed of lightening. So far, there was no ounce of happiness or excitement in the room. Mrs Adewale was seated on a chair, sobbing gently. Esther sat beside her and put an arm around her in a comforting fashion. Mr Adewale sat at the other end of the chair and supported his chin with his clasped hands, a thoughtful look on his face. Tomiwa stood beside them with a solemn look on her face fighting to hold the tears from flowing freely. The memories of his unconscious face  were still fresh in her mind.
“Please, Jake.” She whispered to herself. “Hang on….Please."
Daniel however had followed the doctor into her office to get more details.
“His condition is moderate.” She sighed as she stared at him through her spectacles. “ It was quite fortunate you brought him here on time. If you had tarried any longer, he would have died of blood loss. He has been given drip so he should be steady now. Another good thing is that his parents are here and I can arrange for a blood transfusion.”
She reached for some files and tucked them neatly into a drawer.
Daniel sighed gratefully. “ Thank you very much Doctor..”
“ Adekoya.” She completed, a gentle smile appearing on her face. “ Doctor Sola Adekoya at your service.”
“Daniel Johnson.” He smiled. “ Your service is much appreciated.”
She paused at the mention of his name. “Daniel Johnson?”
He nodded. Her eyes went wide for a bit and she pulled down her spectacles to observe him clearly. Surprise momentarily appeared on her face.
‘ Now that I think of it.’ She thought. ‘The resemblance!! Could he be.. Oh my goodness!!’
“Doctor?” Daniel glanced worriedly at her.
She shook her head to return to reality and quickly smiled at him.
“Is anything the matter?” He queried further with an intense stare.
“No. It’s just… you look a bit familiar.” She replied. “ Pardon me if I ask this. Please, what is your mother’s name?”
“Doctor.” Daniel raised an eyebrow. “ Am I safe?”
“Yes, you are.” She quickly replied with a nervous laugh. “ Just curious, that’s all.”
Daniel stared at her for a moment to see if there was any suspicious air around her. He couldn’t find any. Either she didn’t have or she was good at hiding it. He shrugged.
“Esther Johnson.” He finally said.
Sola’s heart leaped for a moment. It was unbelievable!! After all these years!! It was him!!
“ Okay.” She dismissed as she put a smile on her face once again. “ Just wanted to know. Anyway, Your friend will be fine. I can guarantee you that. Before the end of this week, he will be discharged.”
Daniel heaved a sigh of relief and stood up, before shaking hands with the doctor.
“Thank you once again.” He said.
“Please, Master Johnson." She smiled at him. “I’m just doing my job.”
He turned and left the office , oblivious to the studious look she threw his way. He opened the door , stepped out and bumped into a man who was about entering the office.
“Oh, I am so sorry sir.” Daniel quickly apologized.
“No problem." The man dismissed. “It’s ….”
The man paused and so did Daniel as the atmosphere suddenly changed. There stared at each other for a bit as if trying to decipher something. Daniel took the time to look at the man in front of him. He wore a green long sleeve shirt which was tucked in black trousers. His shirt did nothing to cover up his muscular  frame. Daniel guessed he worked out a lot. There was a tiny scar on his light complexioned face just above his left eyebrow and he had a few stubble around his chin.
“Sorry.” The man finally said. “Have we met somewhere before?”
“I was wondering the same thing.” Daniel laughed a bit.
“Maybe we have.” The man shrugged and smiled. “Who knows? It’s a small world anyway."
“Quite right” Daniel nodded and shifted away from the door. “ Sorry, you can go in.”
The man muttered a thanks and stepped into the office.
“That was weird.” Daniel whispered. A hand was placed on his shoulder and he turned around to see the face of the leader of the trio who rescued them from the warehouse.
“ We need to talk.” He said.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Sola was busy typing on her system, when the door opened and someone stepped in. She glanced up and saw the man who had bumped into Daniel moments ago outside the office. She sighed and pinched  the bridge of her nose. The man dismissed it with a smile and took a seat in front of her.
“Good evening, Mother." He stared at her,the smile not leaving his face.
“Eric." She muttered, resting her hands on the desk and looking at him, disapprovingly.“ What are you up to this time?”
“What?!” He cried out in mock surprise. “I can’t pay my dear mother a visit again?”
The disbelieving look remained plastered on her face.
“ Come on, Mother." He sighed. “ At least I am seated before you, alive and well. Shouldn’t you at least put a smile your face.”
“For how long, Eric.” She replied. “ How long do you intend to keep risking your life all in the name of vengeance?”
“UNTIL EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS DEAD!!” He snarled suddenly and slammed his palm on the table. The previous calmness in his face replaced by rage. Sola was startled by the sudden outburst from her son. She looked around and prayed no one heard them. Eric saw the look on her face and he suddenly felt guilty.
“I’m sorry." He muttered softly. “ I know you are right, but it hurts. They killed her, mother. I had to watch it happen with my very eyes. It’s one thing to lose someone you love, but it is another thing to watch that special person taken away from you and you couldn’t do anything about it”
Sola smiled sadly. She reached forward and placed her hand over her Son’s and squeezed it gently.
“ I know how you feel, dear.” She said softly. “I’ve felt it before. And I don’t want to feel it again. Please, you are all I have left and every single time you take these risks. I grow more worried.”
Eric was silent and placed his second hand over his mother’s own.
“Please.” She continued. “ I know you are a grown man now and old enough to make your decisions, but I want you to promise me one thing.”
“What’s that?” he looked at her expectanctly.
“Don’t die." She whispered as tears started to well around her eyes.
Eric sighed and reached out to take off his mother’s spectacles. He used a finger to wipe her tears and caressed her face gently.
“I won’t.” He smiled.
It was already getting to 5 in the morning when Eric arrived home and parked his car in front of his gate. He switched off the engine and leaned his head on the steering wheel, closing his eyes as he was deep in thought.
He had the perfect life. Wonderful mother, a good house and of course, the best fiancée anyone could imagine. Until it happened… they happened. Vampires!!  That fateful night, he and his fiancée had gone on an outing. And they enjoyed every bit of it. On the way back, he was pressed and parked the car by the roadside to ease himself. He was deep in the bush when he heard a loud scream. Abandoning his needs, he rushed to the roadside just  in time to see two vampires feasting on his fiancée. They had removed the door by the passenger seat and dragged her out. He stood there in horror as they tore into her neck. They soon finished and snarled at him before taking their exit…..  
He snapped awake and shook his head several times before sighing and exiting the car. He closed the door and was about locking it when he heard a sound. His ears perked and a suspicious look appeared on his face.
“ If you love yourself..” He growled and still didn’t turn around. “ ..You would turn around and wisely return to where you are coming from.”
A dark chuckle came from behind him and a man stepped into the light. A sinister grin on his face.
“I see we have a tough guy here." He laughed. “ It would be wise to drop the act of bravery”
“It would be wise to leave this place.” Eric retorted, still backing the man.
“I don’t think you know who you are messing with.” The man said as a nasty frown marred his features.
“Funny.” Eric smirked as he stared at the door of the car. “ I was just about to say the same thing.”
All was silent as a chilly wind blew around the two men. Eric clenched his fists and a serious look appeared on his face. The look of someone prepared for war. The man on the other hand crouched a bit and his face became pale, his eyes turned red and veins appeared around them.  Baring his fangs, he suddenly charged forward with intense speed, but a surprising thing happened..
Before he could reach Eric, Eric swiftly reached into his pocket , pulled out a shot gun and swiftly turned around. The man realized too late as Eric pulled the trigger and put a bullet through his head. The man stood still for a moment and then fell on the floor and started trashing  and groaning wildly. Eric smiled wickedly and crouched near the man.
“ Wooden bullets.” He chuckled as he waved his gun in front of the man’s face. “  Best suitable for demons like you.”
The man began to struggle and groan in pain as blood flowed from his mouth. Eric decided to pity him and reached into his tucked in trousers and pulled out a 10 in wooden stake.
He held the man in place and aimed the stake at his heart.
“ Now hold still.” Eric grinned as the raised the stake high in the air. “ This won’t hurt a bit…”
The man’s eyes went wide at the sight of the stake.
“It will hurt a lot!!” Eric snarled.
With that, he drove the stake into his heart.