Chapter 17

“ Tomiwa.” Daniel began. “It’s not safe around here at this time of the night. Please I think it’s time you..”
“Don’t give me that bull, Dan.” Tomiwa retorted,shocking the duo. Tomiwa wasn’t known  to curse that much. She was definitely pissed and by her rushed breaths, it was enough evidence.
“I don’t know what the both of you do every night. Frankly, that’s your concern. But Dan, I need to know what’s happening here. Why are you two here and where is Jake?” She continued.
Daniel sighed and glanced at Annabelle.  He could see a worried look scarring her facial features and he wasn’t feeling better. Why now of all times did Tomiwa have to show up and what excuse were they going to give now. To make matters worse, it looked like she wasn’t leaving anytime soon.
“Tomiwa.” Annabelle said, staring at the other girl in the eye. “I think it’s time you knew.”
“Ann, Don’t..” Daniel turned sideways to give her a warning glare.
“She needs to know!!” She spat back at him giving him a scowl of her own. “ Sooner or later, she’s going to find out anyway. As long as Luke knows your friends and family like the back of his hand, they are bound to find out and eventually get caught up in all of this. If it’s not Tomiwa, it might be Sharon or even Segun.”
“Wait a minute.” Tomiwa cut in, confusion clearly written on her face. “ What does me or Sharon have to  do with anything…. and who the hell is Luke?!”
Daniel groaned loudly in annoyance as they were getting nowhere with all of this. As much as he wanted to dispute with Annabelle, he had to admit she was right. His best friend and his mum were already dragged into this crazy feud and if he managed to survive tonight, there’s no doubt that luke would involve the rest of his loved ones. Besides, tomiwa was as obstinate as a mule and knowing her well, she would definitely want to follow them if they told her everything.
“Trust me.” Daniel turned to Tomiwa. “ You would freak out.”
“ Please.” She scoffed. “ I’ve seen a lot of things in this life to make me 'freak out' and I doubt what you are going to tell me would make the top 10.”
“It won’t just make the top 10."  Annabelle replied, her face becoming stoic. “It will be number 1.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“Wow.” Luke shook his head in mock pity as he walked around his tied captives. “ This gathering wasn’t supposed to turn out boring. Why the long faces?” he laughed ignoring the harsh glare Esther sent in his direction. Jake ,meanwhile, hadn’t recovered  from his shock at finding out who the new accomplice was. Angela had leaned snugly into Chris with her head resting  on his chest and a smile on her face. He wrapped his arm around her pulling her closer to him making it known to all and sundry that she was his.
“Why so surprised, man?” Chris chuckled clearly enjoying the whole scenario. “ You really think she was into you?”
Jake had calmed down gradually now. He didn’t know what was really going on and he was getting more uncomfortable as the ropes were cutting into his skin. He really needed to get out of it and find a way out of this place. He may have been shocked on seeing Angela here but Chris got something wrong.
“Point of correction." Jake said, staring at them defiantly. “I never thought she was into me. Why would i? When she flirts with anything that has testosterone and portrays herself as a shameless whore. I would be careful if I was you. You never know the kind of STD’s she must have contacted.”
Angela was shocked momentarily, and it soon gave way to anger. How could he talk about her like that.
“How dare you?!!” She screamed and detached herself from Chris to lunge at Jake but he held her back.
“Let me go, Chris!” She shrieked  as she struggled in his grasp. “ Let me teach this bastard how to respect a woman!!”
“Woman?” Jake couldn’t hold himself anymore. He threw his head back and laughed uncontrollably, forgetting his current predicament. “The only woman in this room is the one tied to a chair just like me. All I see is a female dog in heat wearing a mini skirt.”
Esther had to laugh a little at that and even Luke suppressed a chuckle, amused and amazed by the young man’s boldness. Angela and Chris however did not see any humor in this and Angela struggled harder to escape his hold, but he held on.
“Alright, that’s enough!!” Chris cried out as he held his girlfriend in place. His outburst was enough to stun her to silence and she ceased her movements.  In a much gentler voice, he added.“ Ignore whatever he says, you are the most beautiful damsel I have ever seen and that will never change, okay?”
She calmed down and a soft smile made it’s way to her face. She nodded and Jake rolled his eyes at the pathetic scene.
“As for you.” Chris said, turning his attention to Jake. He moved towards him with a monstrous look on his face and before Jake knew it, he landed a swift and solid punch across his face. Jake gasped and spat out blood. He felt his head about to split from the impact and groaned loudly.
“Stop it!” Esther cried out. “ Leave him alone!!”
“Oh, let them be.” Luke said with a sick smile. “ Let them sort it out like men.”
“You're Insane!!” She spat in anger.
“You think?” He laughed and walked to her. He put his index finger under her chin and tilted her head upwards to stare at him, smirking at the rage in her eyes.
“ Does it matter? There are a lot of things about me you are yet to know. But you will find out very soon. A pity your husband didn’t get to tell you these things,…. Well, before I sent him to his early grave.” He laughed dryly.
Esther was stunned to silence at the last comment. Did he just say what she thought he said? Her ears must have heard wrongly.
“ What?” She whispered staring at him blankly. “ What did you just say?’’
“Oops.” He replied, covering his mouth in mock surprise. “ I talk too much. What a bad habit.”
“YOU BASTARD!!” Esther screamed, tears appearing at the corners of her eyes. “I swear you’ll pay with your life. The police will hear of this and….”
“ Police?” Luke was amused. “Esther, like I said earlier..”
He bent towards her until they were face to face. A dark grin appeared on his face and his eyes became red making Esther shriek in fright. “There are things you are yet to know. If you think some mere men with guns can stop me, then you are deluded.”
“Oh my God.” She gasped in fright at the change in his facial appearance. “ What sort of demon are you?”
“Demon?” He pouted as his face returned to normal.
“You hurt my feelings. Demon is such a strong word. I’m something more sophisticated. Meanwhile…” He paused and turned to his son.
“Go outside and stay there. I believe Daniel would need a warm welcome.”
Chris nodded and left the room.