Chapter 30

A black maria zoomed along the highway in the late night. It’s noise loud enough to disturb the peace and serenity of the evening. The front and passenger seats were occupied by two policemen who were chatting away, while the back was occupied by criminals  who had just received judgment and sat in handcuffs. The air was filled with gloom as none of the criminals made any sound. Each to his own thoughts.

“I swear to God, Arsenal has to be the most useless team I have ever seen in my life.” The cop who was driving cursed as his face squeezed in anger.

His comrade laughed hysterically as he beat his chest to steady himself. “ Are you just knowing that?”

“Just to beat common Everton!!” The cop who was driving cried out. “The useless team threw away the lead and lost again.Wenger should better leave that club. His own is too much. After all, he is not the only coach available. Every season they give him good transfer budget, he ends up buying useless players. Every season is the same story. They win match in the beginning of season. When December approaches, they start acting like fools.”

“Old boy,you are really angry." His comrade laughed again. “But you aren't an Arsenal fan. Why is it really bothering you like this?”

“I lost a bet because of those fools!” The driver cried out angrily. “ 2.7 million naira for that matter. They were the last team on my ticket.”

“Are you serious?” His friends eyes went wide at the sound of the amount. It made sense now. “That is so painful.”

“Are you telling me?” The driver turned at a bend and zoomed on.The road was now free and there were thick bushes by either side. 

“Why do you think I've been ranting since?” He continued as his grip tightened on the steering wheel. 

He was about to add another remark when he suddenly pressed his feet on the break making the vehicle stop abruptly. His sudden actions was caused by a figure who had suddenly emerged from the bush and stood in the middle of the road, blocking any further movements from the vehicle.

It was Luke.

And the smile on his face definitely signaled trouble.

“Who is this idiot blocking the road? See as he almost caused an accident." The driver said angrily as he pressed the car horn repeatedly to get ward Luke off.But Luke didn’t budge.

“This man is insane.” The other cop spat as he jumped off the vehicle.  He pulled out his gun and moved towards Luke who shook his head in mock pity.

“Mortals and their guns.” Luke mused as he saw the approaching policeman.

“What is wrong with you?!!” The policeman shouted as he stood a few inches away from Luke.  “ Are you drunk? Get out from this road before I blast your head off.”

Luke said nothing, the smile still plastered on his face.

“You think I'm playing?"  The policeman was fuming with rage now. He cocked his gun. “ If you're looking for a death wish, just know that..”

That was his last words. Before he could finish his sentence, and faster than the speed of lightening, Luke delivered an earth shattering punch to his skull. The punch took his head clean off his body and sent it flying into the bush.

“Fuck!” The driver screamed in horror as he watched his comrade’s headless body collapse into a useless heap by Luke’s feet. In a mode of panic, he alighted from the vehicle and pointed his gun at Luke.

“Freeze!!”  His voice betrayed his pathetic act of bravery as it was shaky. “ Put your hands in the air and don’t move.”

Luke raised an eyebrow. He shrugged and walked towards the police man.

The policeman fired a warning shot at the ground near Luke’s feet. Luke ignored it and continued moving towards him. The policeman fired again, this time hitting Luke at the his left thigh and stopping him momentarily.  A red spot appeared on luke’s jeans signaling the flow of blood. Luke smiled and took out the bullet from his thigh, throwing it away. He stood upright and glanced at the policeman who was stunned.

“Wow. That hurt." Luke muttered, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “Are you done?”

The policeman in panic, turned to flee but suddenly ran into Chris who appeared from nowhere, a little too late. Chris swiftly punched a hole into his chest and brought out his heart. A loud gasp was heard before he fell down, lifeless.

“Too bad.” Chris chuckled, throwing the heart away. “That was so ‘heartless’ of me.”

He laughed hysterically at his own pun.

Luke rolled his sighed at his son’s childishness. “ You know, there is no pleasure in a swift death. It’s more fun when you watch the fear in your prey’s eyes before you take his life.”

“But you just swiftly took down the other guy.” Chris replied dryly.

Luke ignored that and the duo moved to the back of the van. Luke nodded to his son and Chris ripped off the door in one swift move. The inside revealed the criminals who had panicked looks on their faces. There were about twelve and most of them looked big and rough.

“They are perfect." Luke smiled devilishly.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  A gloomy air waved around Tisha’s house as the occupants were in the sitting room. Tomiwa layed her head on Jake’s lap as the two sat on one couch with him caressing her hair. Her crying had stopped but her eyes were red and swollen from excess tears.

Annabelle lay on the other couch, staring at the ceiling with a blank look on her face. The look of someone who had just lost a loved one. Her hand was draped over her chest while she rested her head on the other, using it as a makeshift pillow.

Tisha meanwhile was struggling to put her door back in place and the sitting room back in order. She finally balanced it by the doorway in frustration and sighed. Jake had tried reaching  Mrs Johnson but to no avail due to terrible network connection which left him more frustrated than ever. At the moment, nobody had an idea on what to do…

Suddenly a loud crash was heard and everyone jolted and stood at alert. It was the sound of a broken glass.
“What was that?” Tomiwa said, breaking a sweat and holding Jake’s arm.

Tisha narrowed her eyes. “It came from one of my rooms.The one for Annabelle."

Annabelle nodded in agreement and realization appeared on everyone’s face.  The room Annabelle was supposed to be sleeping in was where they left him.

Everyone quickly scurried out of the sitting room and into the corridor before busting into Annabelle’s room. Surprise and gasps spread through the group as they were stunned by what awaited them. The window in Annabelle’s room was broken. But that was not what surprised them.

What stunned them was  the bed. The bed where they laid him.

It was empty.  

~Hey,guys. If you love the chapters,don't forget to vote and make comments on them. I'll always attend  to any form of views and criticisms,as well as appreciate any votes.Thanks~