Chapter 23

“ By the way.” Annabelle touched the silver neck chain around Daniel's neck. “ What’s this?”
“Oh this?” He  replied. “A gift from my grandfather.  Got it for my birthday.”
Annabelle narrowed her eyes as she played with the silver ball and traced her index finger around the 'W'. Daniel caught the look on her face and raised his eyebrow.
“Any problem?” He asked.
“Not at all.” She smiled at him. “It’s just that it looks so beautiful and so unique.”
“I know.” He replied. “ My granddad always had the best taste in shopping. Well……except that time he mistakenly bought me a ladies underwear when I was 11.” He blushed in embarrassment at the horrific memory.
Annabelle reared her head back and broke into fits of laughter, gathering a bit of attention to their side. Most of the people smiled and dismissed it as him trying to flirt with her and they went back to their business. Soon her laughter was reduced to giggles and she placed one hand on his shoulder to steady herself.
“He did that?” She stifled another round of laughter. “What in the world was he thinking?”
“Beats me.” Daniel shrugged and chuckled. “ It’s one of the most complicated errors I’ve ever seen.”
“I could have imagined the look on your face when you saw it.” She smiled.
“Please don’t remind me.” He scoffed, looking away.
The DJ had put in a popular song and excused himself. Everyone lit up and began to dance vigorously to the beat, although the teenagers kept the groping to a minimum due to the presence of adults at the party. Jake and Tomiwa  started a dance of their own and Segun asked Sharon to dance with him which she reluctanctly accepted due to the fact that he was not the one on her mind. She would have asked Daniel except for the fact that he was currently 'busy'
“Come on.” Annabelle cried out joyously as she held Daniel’s hand and dragged him to the dance floor. “This is my favorite song."
“I’ll say.” He laughed at her childish excitement.  He once again had to marvel at this girl. She was really one of a kind. One moment she would act bold and intimidating, the next moment she would act childish, then before he knew it,she would act all seductive(That one gave him the shivers). But all in all, she was like a rare gem. He decided at that moment that he was going to treasure that gem.
“Dan.” She piped and he blinked back to reality. “I called your name like thrice now.”
“Sorry” He smiled as he watched her move her waist in tune to the song. “Was thinking.”
“About me?” She teased with a wink.
“You wish.” He smiled shyly, a pink blush staining his cheeks.
“Aww.” She pouted and poked his nose. “ You don’t have to hide it, you know. Your face tells a different tale.”
He stuck out his tongue at her and she giggled.
“Stick that tongue out again." She smiled wickedly.“And I’ll bite it”
“That was so dirty!!” His eyes widened at her naughty statement.
“I know” She whispered.
He was about to fire a weapon of his one when he noticed a new set of people enter the house. They were about 18 in number and they all wore suits and sunglasses, with serious expressions on their faces. Three of them were women, while the majority were men. Annabelle noticed the direction of his eyes and followed it. She raised an eyebrow as she saw the unfamiliar people begin to split ways and spread around the dancers. Eric who was coversing with his mother by the door of the house noticed the strangers and raised an eyebrow in suspicion. The atmosphere suddenly felt tense and only three people noticed the change.