Chapter 43

The whiteness of the ceiling was the first thing that greeted Daniel when he opened his eyes. From the faint smell of medicine and equipments,he deduced he was in a hospital and he sat up abruptly.

"Daniel,you're awake!! Oh,thank heavens!!"

A hand was placed over his forehead and he saw his mom. Her eyes were a little puffy showing that she had been crying. Looking around,he discovered his other friends were also present.

  "Bro.you gave us quite the scare."  Jake laughed and punched him lightly on the shoulder.

"Sorry,I guess?" Daniel retorted,his head tilted sideways as if trying to remember something. His countenance did not go unnoticed by the other occupants of the room. Esther however was in a dilema. With what just transpired earlier,She was at a loss. This was the first time bar luke that she witnessed a supernatural event..to her son no less.

"Daniel." She held his hand" How are you feeling now?"

"What?" He blinked back to reality.
She repeated her question.

"I feel great. Better than ever."  He smiled.

"Are you sure?" Annabel asked. There was a flicker of doubt in her eyes.

"100%" He assured,his smile still plastered on his face. Then his face scrunched up in confusion again. "Except.."

"Except what?" His mom drew closer to him with concern on her face.

"I can't really remember what happened." He narrowed his eyes in thought.

Surprise was clearly written on everyone's faces as they stared at him.

"Daniel." Jake began. "You changed into a werewolf and went bersek. You dont remember?"

Daniel did not answer but instead stared at his friend. Jake quivered at the look he received. He knew Daniel meant no harm..at least for the moment, but that stare was uncomfortabe. Daniel then looked away before closing his eyes tight trying to gather all he could:
Playing video game with Jake...About to escort someone..Then came the pain...carried away from the house...The pain getting worse...breaking out of the car...Seeing the brown werewolf again....then the fight.

The memories came crashing down to him in a tidal wave of pain and he finally opened his eyes. He turned to his mother and placed his hand over hers.

"Mom." He began sadly. "You've finally known."

She nodded.

"Im sorry you had to see all of that. You went through a lot while raising me and now this happened. Im so sorry i didnt tell you earlier. I didn't know how you would handle having a monster as a son...i..."

Daniel's words were cut off as his Esther pulled him into a tight hug. Tears were flowing from her eyes.

"You are not a monster." She sobbed. "Whatever happened to you was not your fault. I know you did not do this to yourself.Whatever happens,you are still my son and that would never change. A mother can never deny her child no matter the circumstance and i won't be an exception. We will get through this together. I know we will."

Daniel smiled as he held his mother tight and returned the embrace. It was as if a weight was lifted off his shoulders.He looked at his friends. They all had smiles on their faces. Annabelle's smile was a smile of i-told-you-so. He stuck out his tongue at her and she giggled. Daniel breathed a sigh of relief. He was going through a painful phase. But surrounded by his loved ones,his journey was going to be smooth. He could feel it.

Eric leant away from the door where he was eavesdropping.His eyes narrowed in anger as the truth dawned on him.So the boy was one of those beasts!! And he was here in this very hospital were there were lots of innocent and vulnerabe people. The nerve of his mother! Speaking of whom.

"Eric." He turned to his left and saw his mother standing akimbo and giving him a suspicious look.
Ignoring her gaze,he  took a stride towards her and stopped a few inches from her. Tension filled the air as Mother and Son were locked in a staredown. Dr Sola noticed the fiery glint in her son's eyes and she backed a bit.

"You brought him here." Eric growled darkly.

"Of course i did." Mrs Sola replied getting confused. "Wasn't i supposed to? "

"Not if you knew what he was." he replied. He walked past her and made for the exit.Then he turned around.

"If i were you,i would watch him closely.Very closely." He spat with venom before leaving the hospital and his mother even more confused. Mrs Sola stared at the door after her son left.What had gotten into him all of a sudden.Is there something he knew about Daniel?

"Oh Eric." She muttered sadly as she took a stride to the ward Daniel was in.
"If only you knew how connected you and Daniel are..."

                ***********
Eric sighed as he sat in the driver seat and held the steering tightly,though he was yet to start the vehicle. He slammed his head at the steering wheel as a groan of frustration left his lips.Of all people,why did it have to be young Daniel? Just why? The boy did not deserve any of this but still it seemed like fate wanted to end his life. A look of realisation crossed his face as he sat upright.
As much as he hated the truth,there was only one way to do this.
Put an end to the boy's suffering.

With that decision made,he opened the pigeon-hole to reveal a silver pistol loaded with silver bullets.