Chapter 18

Tomiwa stood rooted to the spot, stunned. She couldn’t believe what she just heard. Were this guys serious or were they messing with her?
“I told you that you won’t believe this.” Daniel sighed and then turned to Annabelle. “See?!”
“Wait.” Tomiwa said as she shook her head vigorously to come back to reality.
“ Let me get something straight. I may get the whole part of Jake and Daniel’s mum being kidnapped or some kinda stuff like that but you?!!” She turned to Annabelle.
“You can’t be a vampire. For Christ sake, they are nothing but a myth!!”
“I know it’s hard to take in.” Annabelle sighed sadly. “ But it’s true."
“Prove it." Tomiwa said disapprovingly. This sounded like fairytale to her. What next? Zombies exist too?
Annabelle sighed and disappeared in a whoosh making Tomiwa jump in fright. She was left alone with Daniel who had an amused look on his face.
“Where.. where did she..” Tomiwa stammered as she gazed around frantically.
Daniel pointed behind her and she looked around to see Annabelle standing there with both hands on her hips.
“This is something.” Tomiwa said as she put a hand to her chest, taking a deep breath. “ Wait a minute."
She faced Daniel. “ Are you also a….”
“No!!” Daniel and Annabelle chorused and Tomiwa sighed in relief.
“But I don’t get it.” She said. “ Vampires are supposed to be deadly and vicious creatures who feast on human blood and kill on sight. But you don’t act like one, Ann."
Annabelle smiled. “ Not all of our kind are the same. I’m kind of surprised you are taking this well.”
Tomiwa shrugged and a sad look graced her face. “ Armed robbers murdered my parents in front of my eyes when I was 6 and I watched my  paternal grandfather breathe his last on his sick bed two years later. My childhood was full of horrors and I have seen things that would make a man commit suicide.” She paused. Daniel and Annabelle stood in shock as they heard all of that. Tomiwa who was so jovial and lively had this kind of dark past? A warm feeling made it’s way to their hearts and they felt bad for her.
“ I’m so sorry about that." Annabelle said softly.
“Yeah." Daniel added. “ I never knew you went through all of these. It’s really sad.”
“It’s okay” she managed a small smile. “ My point is I’m not afraid of death anymore and if it comes calling, I’ve seen enough of it to last me a long time. So if there are vampires or zombies or warlocks or all those things, I guess I won’t be surprised. I am coming with you guys.”
“ No.” Daniel began. “ Tomiwa,it's too dangerous. I don’t want you getting involved. I already have my mother and my best friend…”
“Well your best friend happens to be my boyfriend.” She cut in.
Daniel and Annabelle stared at her for a moment and then sly grins appeared on their faces.
“There, I said it." She continued when she saw their smiles. “ You can tease me later if you want, but the fact remains I am coming along with you guys. Nothing will change that."
“ I knew this was going to happen.” Daniel groaned in annoyance.
“Well..” Annabelle said thoughtfully. “ She can come with us.”
“You are kidding, right?” Daniel deadpanned.
“Nope.” She smiled. “ I have an idea."
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Chris had been standing guard by the entrance and began to wonder what was taking so long for Daniel to arrive. He took out a cigarette and lit it. He relaxed a bit and he inhaled before releasing a puff of smoke from his lips. If all goes well, he, his father and his girlfriend will become the most powerful beings on earth. The world will be theirs to rule as they see fit and no one would question them. How glorious it would be.
He was shaken from his reverie as his super hearing picked up a noise from afar. He put out his cigarette and peered towards the direction of the sound and spotted a figure walking towards the building. He could see it was a girl. She definitely looked lost as she glanced around with a confused look on her face.
‘Dinner is served.’ He chuckled as he moved towards the girl. The girl on seeing him began to back away into the bush.
“Wait!” He called out but she ignored him and ran into the bush. He super sped and appeared in front of her ,shocking her.
“Hello there.” He drawled as he moved slowly and stealthily towards her. She moved backwards slowly until her back touched a tree. “ Are you lost?”
“ No… No..” She stammered as he reached her. “ I’m not. I..I..just took a wrong turn."
“Really?” His tone was disbelieving. “ At this time of the night? What a pity.”
He smiled and stretched out his hand to play with her hair. She shivered at his touch.
“Please.” She whimpered. “ Don’t hurt me.”
“ Hurt you?” He chuckled darkly as he traced his index finger along her jaw. “ I won’t hurt you. but you know its not safe around here. What’s your name?”
“T..Tomiwa?” She shivered.
“ Tomiwa.” He smiled absent mindedly in thought.
“ What a beautiful name.I’ll keep that in mind. Now just relax.” He said and she complied, her breathing becoming normal. He leaned forward and breathed into her neck making her close her eyes. Smirking, he opened his mouth revealing a set of sharp fangs and was about to bite her, when a wooden stake whistled through the air and pierced him from behind at his lower back. He screamed in agony, startling her and  she snapped her eyes open. Seeing his monstrous appearance, she shrieked in fright and moved away from where he had cornered her. He struggled to pull the stake out from his body, grunting in pain as blood gushed out from his back but another stake came flying and penetrated his upper back, barely missing his heart. He screamed louder and buckled to his knees crying out in pain as blood trickled out from his mouth.
“ Well, well, well.” A voice came from behind him. A voice he knew so well.  Groaning slowly, he turned around and saw Annabelle standing a few feet from him with a sweet smile on her face. Beside her, stood Daniel holding a crossbow with an angry look.
“Annabelle.” Chris gasped as his eyes went wide.
“Hello,Love.” She waved. “Did you miss me?”