Chapter 51

Daniel stared at the paper which contained those detailed words.The words which revealed the weapon of Luke's demise. Annabelle had laid her head on his thighs with her eyes closed. Although, she wasn't sleeping. Eric sat at the couch opposite him,typing away on his phone. Occasionally, the two would spare glances at each other. Daniel glaring, Eric smirking. The fact that Eric decided to stay the night was reason enough for the staredown between the two siblings.
"Oh,will you two cut it out already? The heated staredown  is enough to fry ten billion eggs." Annabelle groaned from her position below. Daniel caught her lips twitching up slightly to form a smile,though her eyes remained closed.
"Don't look at me. I'm just here minding my own business." Eric shrugged,giving a blank stare at the couple.
"Right." Daniel snorted with a roll of his eyes. He had been on edge since Eric's arrival. He knew he was safe at least but he wasn't sure about Annabelle. He was on borderline paranoia about leaving the two alone. Vampires and Hunters didn't mix. Eric might be calm now but one could never tell...
Just then Daniel's phone rang,its shrill cutting short the temporary silence. Annabelle rose from his thighs while he picked up the phone.
" Jake?" He raised his brows on seeing the caller ID. Eric mirrored his actions and stared at the wallclock at the wall.It was 12:30AM.
"Why would he call by this time? " Eric asked.
"Beats me." Daniel shrugged and picked the call.
"Jake,what's up? Hope all is well?" He asked.
"Hello,Daniel. It's been a while."A dark and vicious laughter echoed from the receiver's end. Daniel's eyes widened in shock as he recognised that voice. It had been a while he heard it but he point it out anywhere. Annabelle's expression darkened as her super hearing detected the voice.
"Luke." Daniel growled as his eyes narrowed in fury. Eric caught this and his attention was aroused.
"Correct,Boy." Luke chuckled.
"What happened to Jake? Where is he,you scum?!" Daniel cried out.
"Scum? Me? That is very low. Even for you." Luke shook his head,feigning hurt.
" Anyway.To answer your question,Jake is with me. Along with Tomiwa,of course." He added with a laugh.
" What?" Daniel's eyes went wide in shock.
"That's right,Boy.They are in good hands...at least for now." Luke said.
"Luke." Daniel was steaming now. "If you lay a finger...."
" Ah,where have I heard that before?" Luke cut him off,a sarcastic edge to his voice. "That's just the beauty of déjà vu'."
He let out a laugh before stopping abruptly.
"Now listen,boy. " He fumed as his voice had a hard edge to it. "I'm done playing the game of cat and mouse with you. We've been dancing at this for months now and it's time to put an end to it. Now here's the deal. I propose a trade."
" Let me guess. Me for my friends." Daniel said dryly.
" Ditto. You're a smart one. " Luke chuckled. " You are to arrive at the mansion few metres next to the warehouse at Jones street. I believe you are familiar with that place."
" Yes." Daniel nodded.
"Good. Come alone.Not that you have a choice since your three hunter friends are dead anyway. " Luke said gleefully.
" What?!! No,you're lying." Daniel was stunned.Annabelle's eyes went wide as she heard the news. While it was an obvious fact that she didn't like the hunters,she never wanted them dead.
"Am I?" Luke retorted. "That's for you to believe. Anyway like I said,come alone. You have twelve hours.Twelve hours,boy. Any later than that and I'll send your friends to you. Piece...by...piece."
Luke cut the call. Daniel stared at the phone in his hand like it was a foreign object. This felt like a living nightmare. He couldn't believe this. How could everything turn upside down in such a short while? The werewolves were dead and his friends were held hostage. Annabelle placed her hand on his shoulder. Eric stood up.
"He's holding your friends hostage,isn't he?" He gave Daniel a pointed stare.
Daniel nodded.
"I have twelve hours." He said.
" Then what the hell are we waiting for?Let's go." Eric put his phone in his pocket and began to walk to the door.
"It's not that simple, Eric." Annabelle called out. " He wants Daniel.Alone."
"And you think I'll let him be stupid enough to walk into a trap. Just like that?" Eric snorted.
Daniel spared a glance at his brother and gave him an inquisitive look.
" Don't mistake my intentions." Eric rolled his eyes getting a chuckle out of Daniel and Annabelle momentarily.
"He's right,Ann." Daniel faced his girlfriend. "It's a trap. I can't go alone. We need to be tactical about this. Luke has backup, remember?"
"But Jake and Tomiwa...." Annabelle had a worried expression.
"Will be fine. I guarantee it." He interjected and took her hand in his,squeezing them softly.
"Ann. I promise you this. Nobody is dying today. The only person who will be wiped away from this earth will be Luke." He declared.
"And his goons?" Ann tilted her head sideways.
"And his goons." He nodded with a laugh.
"Eric." Daniel turned to his brother. "Let's go to war."