Chapter 11

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!”
Joyous shouts were heard as Daniel was awoken by a splash of cold water to his face.Courtesy of his excited room mates,including Jake.
“ What is wrong with you people?!” Daniel cried out in annoyance as he wiped his face with his hands. “Have you all gone insane?”
“Dude, forget that."  Segun laughed as he returned the now empty container. “ That is how supposed to be for the celebrant. You should be happy that its only us in this  room that know about your birthday. Otherwise you would have received a cold bath outside.”
Daniel sighed in annoyance as he examined his now wet bed.
“Just take a look at this."  He  grumbled. “Even you, Jake. Don’t worry, your own birthday is next two weeks.”
“You think I'll be in this room by that time?" Jake laughed. “ I will hide in one of my guy's place”
“As if.” Daniel replied. “ That is all talk.we will still surround  you when you come back”
“So, Daniel." Tade, another of his roomates said. “ Hope  the party will still hold at the beach? I don't want to prepare today only to hear gibberish later..”
“Don’t worry.” Daniel laughed. “ It would hold. I have organized everything.”
“ Food is available, right?” Segun asked.
“So food is the only reason you go for a birthday party?”  Tade queried, a disappointing look on his face.
“You think I'm like you?” Segun retorted.
“There'll be food."  Daniel answered Segun’s previous question before they descended into one of their meaningless arguments.
“What about drinks?” Tade asked.
“Sorted.” Daniel replied.
“Babes?” Tade pressed on.
“Guy!!” Segun cried out. “ Is it only guys that will be in the party before? Of course, babes will be there.What kind question is this,for crying out loud?"
Daniel laughed as they began they usual bickering. Truth be told, Daniel wanted his birthday to be private, but thanks to the ever running mouth of Jake, his department as well as his room mates were aware and he was forced to make it a big deal. He suggested celebrating it around his faculty premises but his room mates who would inevitably bring their friends along, wanted to be part of it. It had been a long time he had been to the beach so he didn’t mind going there again. So he thought, why not bring the party along?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“ So according to the rumors going around the school.” The voice of the course representative was heard as he began an announcement. “There are talks about the school going on strike.”
There were low mumbles around the class as students began to chatter among themselves. Daniel kept a straight face as he listened to this new info. Annabelle sat beside him for the first time at his right, her chocolate eyes  narrowing slightly as her face was deep in thought. Sharon sat at his left, throwing slight glances at his  direction at intervals. Behind him, Jake sat beside Tomiwa as he paid attention, at the same time trying to fend off a flirting Angela which was beginning to piss Tomiwa off, but she maintained her cool so as not to cause a scene.
“Please, please. I need your attention.” The course rep continued as he tried to silence the class. “ Like I said, It’s a rumor. It is not official yet.”
“Any reason that the school might want to go on strike?” A random student asked.
“Well, from what I know.” The course rep replied “ It has something to do with the recent disappearances of students in this school. Student’s have left their hostels and have been reported missing. Another issue is the recent death of a student, whose body was found in the bush near crystal hostel.”
The whole class gasped and Daniel glanced sideways at Annabelle. She had a sad look on her face at the reception of the info and she looked away. He reached for her hand which was placed on the table and held it. She tensed in surprise and she stared at him. He squeezed her hand slightly and smiled at her for reassurance. She managed a small smile in return and nodded before he released her.
“There was a small protest last week.” The class rep continued. “Apparently majority of students have had enough and they want the school to do something about it. It’s still a rumor but I believe with the way things are, it will become official soon. That’s  that on that. Now as we all know, Daniel Johnson’s birthday party is holding at the beach this evening…”
He was interrupted  as the class erupted in joy and some students congratulated Daniel once again and others tapped his back affectionately.
“ Please make sure you leave the place on time and don’t wander about” The course rep continued. “ It’s not safe. Once again, Happy Birthday Daniel.” He concluded with a smile and left the class. Soon every one began to get ready to leave as it was approaching evening.
“ So birthday boy.”  Annabelle began as she pinched his cheek. “ Any surprises I should expect at the party?”
“Well.” He put his finger at his chin and looked up in thought. “ I don’t think so. Food, drinks, a good location where you can see the view of the setting sun and feel the smooth ocean breeze. That should be good enough.”
“No music?” She tilted her head sideways as she looked at him confusedly.
“Oh right!!” He cried out as he slapped his palm against his forehead, cursing at his forgetfulness.
“ There is music. Forgot to mention that.” He grinned.
“Please tell me it’s not the slow type.” She said..
“Are you kidding me?” He snorted. “ Of course not."
“That’s good.” She smiled and leaned towards him until their noses were almost touching, making him turn pink.
“ Because I hope you can handle me on the dance floor.” She whispered the last part and winked  at him. Before he could reply, she stood up and pinched his cheek before smiling at him and she walked away, leaving Daniel staring at her retreating form with his mouth open.
“Dan, Dan, Dan.” Tomiwa teased as she wrapped her left arm around his neck from behind and ruffled his hair with her other hand. “ I never knew you had it in you.”
“Hey!!” He cried out as he pushed her hands away and arranged his curly hair. “ Easy with the hair.”
“Calm down, man.” Jake laughed as he plopped down beside his friend. “You’ll still freshen up when you reach the hostel. Besides you think people care about this your bushy hair?”
“Shows what you know.” Daniel retorted. “ So you are speaking up for your girlfriend now, eh?”
“Anyway.” A blushing Tomiwa changed the subject. “ Just like Annabelle said, I hope you can dance. Don’t go and dull her spirit.. It seems like she will have some energy you can’t handle.”
“Yeah I can dance.” Daniel replied.
“Can he?” Tomiwa turned to Jake.
“Sadly, yes he can.” Jake grinned shaking his head in mourning fashion.
Daniel laughed and pushed his friend’s head away. His laugh was soon interrupted as they spotted Angela making her way over to them.
“Not today.” Daniel and Jake groaned in annoyance simultaneously. An deadly scowl made it’s way to Tomiwa’s face and she clenched her fists.
“Hey guys.” Angela chirped when she reached them, ignoring the presence of the girls. “ How’s it going?”
“It’s going great.” Daniel mumbled.
“Yeah.” Jake muttered.
“Dan.” She turned to Daniel with a sweet smile “ I hope your party will be a blast. Because I plan to have the best time of my life tonight.”
‘The best time being a hoe’ Tomiwa thought angrily.
“It will be great, don’t worry about that." Daniel replied blankly.
“ Alright, see you there.” She patted his cheek much to Sharon’s disgust and his horror. She glanced towards Jake  and gave him a seductive smile before turning to leave. Jake shivered in terror and turned to see Tomiwa’s  fists still clenched. She was glaring a hole at the back of the retreating Angela’s head. He reached out and grasped her left fist. She turned towards him and he smiled at her, shaking his head in a disapproving fashion. She sighed and relaxed before uncurling her fists.
‘ My patience is wearing thin’ She thought angrily.