Chapter 47

"..What?!" The silmultaneous voices of Daniel and Eric echoed. Esther was also confused at this point.
"Look." Dr Adekoya said as she faced Eric "Put your gun down and let's have Daniel treated then i assure you i will explain everything."
Eric shifted his gaze from his mother and glared at Daniel who returned his gaze with a heated look of his own.
"Eric!!" The doctor cried out, her voice was stern this time.
"Fine." Eric sighed and put his weapon away. He stretched his hand to Daniel who swatted it away with disgust. He wasn't surprised.
"I can get up fine on my own,thank you." Daniel stood up and headed inside.
"Suit yourself." Eric replied carelessly to a retreating and limping Daniel. He then turned to his mother who had a solemn look on her face.
"For all this is worth." He said "You had better be telling the truth."
  Moments later, they all gathered in the living room . Thank's to the doctor's expertise, the bullet was removed from Daniel's leg and it was bandaged properly. He sat in the middle of his mother and Annabelle facing the opposite couch which occupied Dr Adekoya and Eric.Beside's the obvious confusion on Esther's face,the deadpan expression on Annabelle's and the heated glares exchanged between Eric and Daniel, everything seemed alright.
Mrs Adekoya sighed sadly and began.
"Joseph Johnson. He was quite the special one. Dedicated. Resilient.Hardworking.Aspiring. We met a long time ago in the university and we were both medicine students. He was a what you young people would call a 'nerd'. Everything was always all about studies and experiment to him. Don't get me wrong,i was quite brilliant too but i was nowhere near his level. He was way too brilliant you would have believed he wasn't normal.."
Daniel raised an eyebrow at her.
"I meant in a good way." She clarified and he smiled.
"His determination to know more and my willingness to learn from him was what brought us together. We were quite the couple although we kept our relationship discreet until we finished from the university and did our youth service. It was like we were meant to be. After about seven years of dating,he proposed and unsurprisingly i accepted" She paused and her smile disappeared replaced by a frown.
"What happened then?" Esther asked. She really needed to  wrap her head around all these. It was way too much to bear.
"My parents." Dr adekoya replied, a sharp edge to her tone. "You see at that time Joseph wasnt financially stable and my parents didn't feel he could take care of me.But i saw what they couldn't. His determination to succeed.There is no way a man with a heart and brain like Joseph's wouldn't make it in this life. I was willing to stand by him throughout his hard times but my parents would not hear of it. To them, money was everything. They went as far as to push me to a corner: Terminate the relationship with him or be disowned by them. I chose the former,a decision i regret to this very day. I will never forget the look of pain in his eyes when i ended the relationship. He later moved out with his father to another location. Unknown to him and my parents, i was carrying his child. Eventually my parents found out and were very angry. They believed it was all planned in order to force a marriage between us. But how was that possible? Even i didn't know i was pregnant until weeks after he left. My parents in blind rage disowned me and threw me out of their house leaving me to fend for myself."
Mrs Adekoya had began to cry at this point as all the memories came flooding back. Eric put his arm around her and began to soothe her. She wiped her face and continued:
"I stayed with a friend of mine and began to work as a secretary. She did all she could to assist me and i was very grateful.Several months later,i put to bed and had a boy..."
She paused and smiled at Eric.
"..You."
"It seemed after the birth of Eric,everything seemed to work out for me" She continued "After a year i got a job and moved out and got a place of my own. For years everything was stable and i was alright.What remained to make me happy was to find the father of my child. Imagine how heartbroken i was when i heard Joseph had gotten married and had a child. I went with Eric to the venue where the child's naming ceremony was held and that's when i finally saw him. Joseph. He looked so happy with you,Esther and the baby in your arms"
Esther smiled and held Daniel's hand warmly.He returned the favour by putting his hand around her.
"At that moment,i could have been jealous and caused a scene there but instead i was....happy. " Mrs Adekoya continued. " I know it sounds strange but it's true. Seeing Joseph happy just melted my heart there and it made me realise he deserved it.Everything i went through was never his fault.It was so ironic that i severed ties with him because of my parents who in turn severed ties with me. Life can be so funny. I left the venue with eric and decided to raise him on my own. Try as i could to find love again,i just coudn't. You can never forget your first love. Then i heard the news that he died few months later."
She faced Esther. "I'm sorry."
"Its okay." Esther replied " I guess i could say the feeling is mutual."
"So that naming ceremony you took me to years ago.." Eric began
"..Was Daniel's." His mother completed.
Eric sighed.If there was any ounce of doubt he had before,it was all cleared now. Now he knew why he felt the air of familiarity around Daniel.
"Daniel." He called out. "Please accept my apology for  my earlier actions "
"Its fine." Daniel replied. " I suggest you should channel your hatred for the vampires to one direction because there are two things we have in common now."
"Which are ?"
"Blood and Luke. The latter whom is responsible for the death of my Dad." Daniel replied.
Eric gave him a look.
"Our Dad." Daniel corrected.
"WHAT!!" Mrs Adekoya was stunned.
"Yes,ma'am." Daniel faced her. " It's quite a long story. I would have loved to tell you and Eric but i cant have us getting two long tales in one morning."
"It's 3:00AM. Wow." Mrs Adekoya glanced at her watch.
"I have to be at work early." She stood up."Thank you all for your audience and thank you especially for your understanding,Esther.You dont know how much it means to me"
"You're welcome." Esther stood up and hugged the Doctor " And remember my home is open to you any time. If you ever want to visit, feel free to come around."
"And you too,Eric." She turned to Eric. "Just don't turn the house upside down with Daniel."
Everyone chuckled at her statement.
"Doctor." Daniel said. "When i have the time,i will come by the hospital and give you all the details"
"I'll be expecting you." Dr Adekoya smiled and left with Eric following.
Esther bid her son and Annabelle goodmorning and retired to her room, leaving the couple in the living room.
"Ann." Daniel sat beside her and put his arm around her. "You've been quiet since. Kind of unlike you."
"Well it has been quite a long day. " She replied. " This is one of the strangest days of my life."
"Tell me about it." He chuckled.
Annabelle was about to reply when something caught her attention.
"Daniel!" She cried out. " Your  necklace!!"
"What?" He followed her eyes to his neck just in time to see his necklace glowing. The necklace his grandfather had bought for him on his birthday. He quickly pulled it off and tossed it on the table. The 'W' symbol glowed few more times before it stopped. Daniel carefully picked up the necklace and examined it.
"What just happened?" He voiced out his thoughts before inadvertently pressing the W symbol on the ball of the necklace. A rattling sound was heard within the ball and it split into two,revealing a small piece of folded paper within.
"Wow." Annabelle's eyes was wide at this point.
"This day just keeps getting weirder and weirder." Daniel muttered and unfolded the piece of paper. It was quite old and contained words written with skyblue-colored ink. The words were thus:
'Luke the immortal.But not the invincible. Above all but vulnerable to one.  One poison deadlier than the other. Werewolf venom triumphs over vampire virus.The might of the bat will fall to the fangs of the wolf. '