Chapter 36

9:00PM was what his  wristwatch read. His breathing was heavy as he  silently and stealthily grazed the bushes. Today was definitely Eric’s busiest day. The news of missing people kept spreading rapidly like wildfire and there were also reported cases of escaped criminals.  For the past two hours, he had massacred  25 vampires on his rampage and the remaining he had seen had fled into the bushes.

‘If only I can get my hands on the one creating these demons, these will be a lot easier.’ He thought as he parted the bushes with one hand, the other holding tightly to his gun.
A strange sight aroused his curiosity as he saw a fallen figure from afar. He quickly rushed to the figure and saw that it was a deadman. Examining his body, Eric discovered that it hadn’t been long he was killed as his body hadn’t turned pale. His eyes were still open and there was blood seeping out from his neck.

‘May his soul rest in peace.’ Eric sighed as he closed the eyes of the man.

His ears perked up as he heard footsteps behind him. Standing up straight, he smiled as at the pathetic attempt of his intruder who tried to make his movements silent. Still not turning around, he corked his gun and waited.

Suddenly the intruder charged out of the bushes with a loud snarl and sped up quickly to attack. Eric shook his head in pity, turned around and fired a bullet through the head of the man, just as he was inches towards him. The man summersaulted and landed roughly with a loud groan.

“You fools never learn, do you?” Eric walked towards him. “ No wonder you fall so easily.”

He pointed the gun to his heart and released 5 more bullets into it. The vampire screamed with each hit and burnt to dust.

Just when Eric was about to turn around, Another vampire charged out from the bush towards him.But before Eric could shoot, a wooden arrow flew from behind him and pierced through the approaching vampire accurately in the heart. The vampire fell straight  on his back and dissisipated.  Eric raised his brow in surprise and turned around. There was no one there.

“Who’s there?!” Eric growled, his deep voice echoing through the silent woods. “ Show yourself.”

Footsteps were heard and soon, someone stepped out. It was Simon. He was wearing a white T-shirt with a sleeveless black hoodie on top and black jeans and he carried a crossbow.  Eric stood silently in surprise as this was the first time he was seeing a white man in reality.

“They seem to be increasing everyday, don’t they?” Simon chuckled as he walked towards Eric.

“Who are you?” Eric said as his grip on his gun tightened as his eyes narrowed. He definitely wasn’t used to  talking to strangers that just appeared from nowhere. Let, alone one that was armed.

“Take it easy, man.” Simon raised his hands in surrender. “ My name is Simon. I’m here for the same cause as you. Vampires. Although we may have met before, but not directly.”

“I don’t remember seeing your face anywhere.” Eric was skeptical .

“Like I said.Not directly. I saw you at St Paul’s hospital, about 2 months ago when I brought a friend who was injured by a vampire. You didn’t see me though but you entered an office.” Simon said.

“Oh.” Eric nodded. “ Let’s just say I’m affliated with the hospital.”

“I see.” That was all Simon said and then he looked into the distance.
All was silent for a while then a thoughtful look appeared on Eric’s face.

“Your friend.” He said. “ The one that was injured. Was he bitten?”

“Not at all.” Simon replied. “ It was a stab wound. His case would have been much worse if I and my comrades hadn’t intervened.”

“Comrades?” Eric raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah” Simon replied. “ There’s three of us. We dedicated our lives to vampire hunting from a very young age and for the past decade, Slaying vampires have become part of our life. The other two are staying guard  at  a house a few miles away.”

“Oh.” Eric said. “ By the way, have you heard anything about werewolves?”

A surprised look appeared on Simon’s face and his blue eyes were wide in wonder. “ Werewolves? No. I doubt if they exist.”

“Well. It kind of sounds unbelievable, but remember vampires were thought to be a myth too.” Eric said.

Simon’s looked thoughtfully at the sky, running his hand though his blonde hair. Then he sighed before looking at Eric.

“You have a point there.” He said. “ I’ll keep the others posted.”

“One more thing.” Eric said, quickly remembering something. “ You said there were three of you hunters. Who are the remaining two?”

“ They are twins.” Simon replied.
“ Ted and Tony. Why?”

Eric was confused. “ You mean you don’t have a teenage boy part of your team, named Daniel Johnson?”

Simon’s eyes went wide. “ You know Daniel?”

“ Yeah.” Eric replied. “ We’ve crossed paths twice. In the hospital and at a party”

Simon chuckled at the whole scenario. It’s funny how everything came into place. Eric couldn’t  see the humor  though.

“It’s kind of funny.” Simon said.
“ Because the day I saw you was the day I brought my friend to the hospital. He happened to be Daniel’s best friend and  age mate. I was with Daniel, his mom and some other people.”

Eric nodded.  “ I asked because at the party where we met the second time, we were ambushed by vampires but the boy managed to hold his own against them.  I had to admit it was impressive. He displayed the skills of a natural hunter.’’

“Hmm.” Simon replied. “ He is actually the one my friends are guarding now. He does have potential though.” He smiled.

“I agree.” Eric smiled in return and then remembered he hadn’t introduced himself.

“ By the way, the name’s Eric.”