Chapter 38

Segun grumbled as he slowly and reluctantly trudged along the way to the shop. Two things he loved apart from food was books and sleep. That afternoon, he had just gotten back home from the library and what he needed was a good day rest.

Unfortunately,  just as soon as his head touched the pillow, visitors arrived and he was summoned by his parents to go and buy refreshments. Very annoying, considering the fact that his younger brother, wole was available and less busy.

He entered the shop, purchased a few drinks and was just about leaving when he caught sight of someone in the distance. The person looked familiar. He peered closer  and discovered that it was…

‘Sharon?’ He mused. She was wearing a long sleeve navy blue shirt and black knee length skirt and was carrying a nylon. She didn’t see him though and she was about to turn to a bend that led to another road.

“Hey, Sharon!!” He called and she turned around in surprise. Seeing him, she smiled and waved casually and he walked to meet her.

“Hey, what’s up?” She greeted as she extended a hand.

He shook her hand. “ Nothing much. Just came to get some stuffs.”

“Same here.”  She replied. “ It’s been a while though since…” she paused as memories of the party flashed her mind and a sad look made it’s way to her face.

“The party.” He concluded with a straight face. He held his arm and looked away at a passing vehicle. Truth be told, it wasn’t something he could not forget either. One moment, he was dancing with her. Next thing, borderline chaos and mass death…..

“Hey, are you okay?” She asked in concern as she noticed his lost look. He blinked back to reality and looked at her.

“Sorry, what was that?” He asked.

“You zoned out for a moment.” She gave him a worried gaze.

“Right.” He mumbled. “ It’s just I can’t still get over what happened that day. It still feels weird.”

“Tell me about it.” She agreed.

“Hey, have you heard from Jake and Daniel?” He asked.

“Yeah, they are around now.” She replied.

“That’s good. I couldn’t reach them before and I heard they travelled.”

She nodded.

“Anyway” He shrugged. “I’ll be on my way now. See you around”. 

With that,he turned to leave…

“Wait.” She called out and he stopped, turning to look at her.

“Yeah?” He was expectant.

She opened her mouth but no words came out, making it more awkward for the both of them. Why couldn’t she say anything?!

“Nevermind.” She sighed and his face fell though he did well to hide the disappointment.

“Alright.Later.” He forced a smile and walked off.

“Later.” She whispered to no one.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Annabelle knocked at the Johnson’s gate. After a while, Mrs Johnson opened it.

“Annabelle.” She beamed. “How are you?”

“Im fine, ma’am.” Annabelle replied.
“Please, Is Daniel home?”