Chapter 6

Aaron picks up his phone and pauses to practice on his laptop.

"Hello?" He answers

"COMEOVERHEREQUICKWEFOUNFSOMETHINGINABOX" the voice on the other side says.

"Whoa, whoa, slow down Roni. What's happening? Are you safe?" He starts to worry just a tad. She can barely get her words out and they all run together. That is never a good thing.

"Just come over!" Roni frantically replies. He grabs his car keys and starts up the car. He races down the road and pulls up at the Merrell's house. He grabs the spare key from under the rug. He unlocks the door and sees both the twins jump.

"Relax. It's just me" whatever happened must have been bad because they look more than completely shocked. "Tell me what's going on and please explain it calmly."

"Look in the box" Roni manages to say. He opens the box and immediately jumps back.

"What the fuck?!" He says. Inside was a replica of Paul's head. It looked exactly like it did the night that Andrew thought it was a ball floating in the river. Whoever did it had to do something with the murder because the bullet wound was in the exact place of the night. This is terrifying.

"Ok. Calm down. You two stay here. Let's not touch the box anymore. I'll call Lear and get you two some water." He places the box to the side. The head is not really but it's eerily realistic. He gets twins some water and calls Lear. He heads over immediately from work. Aaron gives Kian a call and he comes over in less than five minutes. He looks in the box too and is just as freaked out as the rest. The twins keep it together until Lear comes. They explain everything to him and the other officer that he came with. He jots it down in a notebook. He connected it with the letters. He told Aaron and Kian to stay as long as they needed and he leaves.

  Aaron and Kian comfort the twins as best as they can. They help them up to their rooms and bring them plenty of water.

"I-I just don't understand. Like how sick in the head do you have to be to do something like that." Roni mutters. She's in Aaron's arms.

"I know. It's the second time this week. I didn't tell you about the notes because I didn't want you to stress." He says. She looks up at him.

"Thank you." She mutters. She can feel the tears welling up in her eyes.

"Are you nauseous?" He asks. She nods her head yes. He holds up the trash can for her to throw up. She does and falls back into his chest. It's been awhile since she cried. She hadn't cried about her dad in months. That little tear that was in her eyes turns into a river. She lets it out. Aaron rubs her back and let's her cry. She cried herself to sleep. He lifts her to the side a lays her under her covers. He'll be back. He's probably not going to leave her house. He wants to make sure that she's ok and doesn't feel alone.

  Kian looks at Nessa. She hasn't said much since he got here. He understands. He feels some warm wetness on his shirt as he's hugging her. It's tears. He sits her up and wipes them. He knows that she has got to feel sick to her stomach. He lets her throw up. She cried and she cried. It took her longer to go to sleep but he doesn't mind. He rocks her as she goes. He wraps her up and meets Aaron downstairs.

"This is the strangest shit ever" Kian says. Aaron kids with him. They find a snack. They're not leaving the house until school tomorrow. They have half of their closet here and all of the necessities. They have everything but they book bag. They'll get them tomorrow morning they decide. They make their way up the stairs and make sure that their parents know where they are.

  Aaron takes his shower. All the while he's think about the notes and the head. Could this be a warning? Should they be worried for their lives? He tries not to rack his brain thinking about it. It's kind of hard to stop though. He thinks about the last warning signs. He should've taken those because if he did, maybe they wouldn't be here. He slips on his clothes and slides into the bed with Roni. The slight murmur of the TV helps him ease his way to sleep. It's a little early for bed so it is rare for him to be sleeping. He didn't get much sleep though. He thinks much during the night. He finally drifts off.

  Kian slips into bed with Nessa. He's done his fair share of thinking but the difference between him and Aaron is that he knows when to stop. Him and Nessa sleep like babies for the rest of the night. He makes sure that she's close to him.

  Roni wakes up once or twice during the night. It's because of nightmares. Aaron is always there to calm her back down. He makes sure that she breathes and tells her that it will be alright. He hugs her tighter and makes sure that she's ok to go back to sleep. He stays up until she falls back asleep.

  Lear looks at the evidence when he gets back to the station. It's for sure that whoever sent them is close to Wendy. The question is did Wendy assist in the sending or does she know nothing about them? They used to think it was simply prank but this proves it wasn't.He can't gather anymore information than what he has so he calls it a night. He will wait for the next taunting gift.

  Four notes have turned into a replica of a severed head and the week has turned into hell. This week was supposed to be peaceful and celebratory but so much for that.