Chapter 23

The next day at school everyone meets up as usual. Kian and Nessa avoid each other as always. That seems to be the new normal.

"When do you think they will work it out?" Roni asks Aaron.

"I don't know. They might need a little push. We needed one." Aaron responds.

"I'll talk to her after school."

"I thought I was going to see you after school." Aaron looks at her. His hand is propped up on the locker in front of him. She's under her him facing him.

"Aaron, you know we can't keep doing this." Roni looks up at him.

"Why not?"she follows his lips with her eyes as he says this.

"You know we're going to get caught. All it takes is for your dad to come home a little early."

"You're no fun." Aaron teases.

"We can still meet up later. I promise. I'm sure the rule will go back to how it was before."

"Fine. Your right. I have a feeling that those two are going to get caught soon." He says pointing to Alex and Lauren. He lifts her head up with his finger and give her a kiss before they go to class.

Alex is exhausted. Between practice and going out late, it has really taken a toll on him. Homework is falling behind. He has got to get some rest. He almost fell asleep at Lauren's house last night which is not good. If he doesn't come home by a certain time then his dad is going to catch him and then he's for sure grounded. He's going to keep doing what he's doing but try and play it safer.

  The day goes by at school fast. Alex catches himself nodding off several times. Kian and Nessa catch themselves thinking about each other a lot throughout the day. They have got to get that under control. As soon as school gets out Aaron and Alex go home. Aaron gets his homework done, changed into his workout clothes, and grabs himself a snack and some Gatorade. In that house they go through a pack of Gatorade in two day and it's only two of them who drink it. Alex changes and walks out the door to football practice. Though Aaron doesn't agree with him sneaking out, he doesn't snitch or tell him not to it. He hates that if he gets caught then they both will suffer but other than that he just lets it go. He can't really say much anyone. For one, Alex is not going to listen. Two, it would be kind of hypocritical now that he's done it. For now he just keeps it under wraps.

  Roni gets home from school and her project is calling her name. She wants to go and do it but the same dilemma will be there. Instead she does her homework and then she goes and talks to Nessa. It's a much needed talk.

"Nessa, I have snacks!" She says as she walks through Nessa's door.

"Cool, I'm hungry." Nessa replies. Even through this she has had good spirits.

"When are you not?" Roni teases. Nessa nudges her with her elbow. Roni makes small talk until they get to the big question.

"What's going on with you and Kian?" Roni finally asks.

"Uh oh, here we go. I knew this intervention would come." Nessa sighs.

"Well, you help me and Aaron and we just need a little push so I thought you guys may need one too. I understand that it's hard but forgiveness is a good thing. Every relationship goes through some sort of rough patch. I'm sure this won't be your last. I know you miss him and what he did wasn't right but I think he's truly sorry."

"He didn't seem like it." Nessa says in a snarky tone.

"I know, I know. I have a feeling that he will come around."

"Really?"

"For sure." They go about eating their snacks and watching TV until Roni goes to work on her project. She doesn't get much done and is still stuck at that indecisive place that she left off on.

  Aaron gets home from working out and practicing on his own. He really tired and could honestly go to bed right now even though it's only six. Instead, he takes a shower and heads over to Kian. When he gets there he goes in Kian's room.

"Damn, ever heard of knocking?" Kian complains

"You wouldn't have answered if I did."

"So, why are you here? I know we're brothers and all but you have your own house."

"You still have an attitude? I'm here to help you. You have to get up and apologize to Nessa. You know she was just trying to help." Aaron says

"Here you go in this bullshit again. I don't have to do anything."

"I'm just trying to help you. Your sorry ass is just moping around and complaining. You know you miss her. I can't rope you into the trap that you did with Roni and I so I'm helping you the best way that I can. Kian you know you're in the wrong but your to stubborn to admit it."

"Yeah, and what? She won't take me back. I fucked up. You know that after she walked out that car, she wasn't coming back. What's the point of even trying."

"Roni walked out. It must be a twin thing. She came back but we had to work things out. That's what you have to do. That's how relationships work." Aaron leaves out on that note because he has to be home by a decent time and he's tired.

  Aaron comes home and strips off his hoodie that he wore on top of his wife beater. He plays some basketball tapes on the TV downstairs from his phone. Alex runs in the house to take a shower and back out to go to Lauren's. Aaron is just about to postmate himself some food when Lear walks in the door. Uh oh. He doesn't know how he's going to cover for Alex on this one.