Chapter 47

Though the trial is over, the press isn't. They want to know anything and everything. It's really not great for the teen's mental health. They've been trying to shake the feeling after the trial. Everyone thought that it would give them a sense of justice and they would feel good, but they don't. They actually feel horrible. The whole thing served as a reminder that no matter how far they go in life and no matter how much they grow, that is their past. They can't change that. They've tried so hard to not make their tragedies the things that define who they are and that trial really made it hard. On top of that, life has to move on. They don't want it to.

Life for Aaron has to move on and he knows it. A key element to that is his college letters. He's been accepted into every major sports college but the ones he wants. He's hoping that UNC will accept him. UNC is his first choice but even if he gets Duke he's fine. He's really worried because this is the first thing for himself that he's ever wanted. After the whole trial, he realized that he has nothing for him but basketball. He wants to find him and going to his dream college will definitely help.

Though Alex is down in the dumps, that can't stop his grind. College is not going to stop for him. He goes out to his workouts, but this time he's not as flirtatious. He wants to be but his mind is on that trial and the unfinished business that he has. He and Lauren never officially broke up and he's apologized several times but there was no acceptance. Looking at her at the trial didn't bring back feelings but it brought back guilt. He's totally different now and knows how to cope with his anger. Looking at Lauren reminded him of the old him and he doesn't like that. That's why he can't ever have feelings for her. He will always have love for her because she was his first love, but they bring out something in each other that he can't have. Looking at Niyah he sees a person that he can't fathom to hurt. She has such a brightness to her that he could never forgive himself if he dimmed it. She's really brought the good out in him and Lauren has never done that. He's so conflicted , so when Niyah notices that something is off about him, he doesn't know why to say.

That look that Wendy gave Nessa has stuck with her. She is more like her mother than Roni. She's noticed that so many times. She hates that about herself. Looking at how she got into college and hasn't had any aspirations has bothered her. Now she's on a quest of finding herself outside of being a twin, girlfriend, daughter of Wendy, and a victim. She going to find Vanessa, with no relations to her mother and any expectations that lie on her.

Aaron doesn't expect a letter to come to day. He's chilling on the couch with Roni because they haven't really left each other's side since the trial. Their anxiety kind of peaked and they like to be there to comfort each other. He goes and checks the mailbox just in case. He feels his heart skip several beats. Two letters are in there and they are just the ones that he was waiting for. He brings them in and hands them to Roni.

"I can't do it. You open them." He says.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, my nerves are not built for this right now."

She takes the letter and slowly opens them. She reads the unfolded letter and she smiles.

"You did it baby!"She exclaims. He read it for himself and gives her the biggest hug. He feels something unlock in himself. He didn't let himself down and that's all that he can ask for. This is about him for the first time ever and he did it all by himself.

Niyah takes her seat beside Alex after asking him what's wrong. She's genuinely concerned for him. His head has been in the game and fitness is just as big of a stress reliever or her as it is for him, but she doesn't want him to fall back into sports being everything and becoming addicted. That will lead him back to his steroids. To tell the truth, she's developed feelings for Alex and even if he doesn't feel the same, she cares for him. She's only known him for a little while, but that feels like forever and all she notices the little things about him.

"Alex, you can talk to me." She says.

"Just a lot has been going on." He sighs.

"Yeah, I saw you on TV with the whole trial. I know it has to be difficult to deal with that." She sympathizes with him.

"I can't do this whole sports being an outlet because it's going to lead to an addiction again. I'm just seeing the old me." He feels comfortable talking to her but still hasn't talked about Lauren yet. He knows that it might be over if he tells her. "I have some unspoken and unhandled demons that I have to face."

"I've only known you for maybe three weeks but I know you can do it. I'm always here to talk and I'll always be here." Niyah rubs his back. He looks at her intensely. He sees the most beautiful thing that he's ever seen. A click and a bond that he's longed for. He tucks a highlighted curl behind her ear and guide her face to his. In that moment he know that she deserves the world and he had to be the one to give it to her. He breaks away from the kiss and grabs her hands.

"Listen, I have something to finish. I hate to leave you like this, but you deserve the best me that you can get. I promise you I'll be back. Same spot same time as our usual and I'll make it better." He says to her. She nods and watches as he leaves her to finish whatever is burdening him.