Chapter 56

Sherry and Lear have been wedding planning for awhile now. They made a lot of progress. They've gone from being nervous, to being excited and confident that this whole thing is going to go well. They set the date to a month after the kids go to college. They'll almost be empty nesters by then and their sure that they're going to want to see their kids after a month of not. On top of that, it's a good time. Not to warm, not to cold and convenient for everyone. They've planned it out to a tee and have done almost everything to get ready for it. There's one crucial part missing. Sherry's dress.

A wedding dress for a wedding is kind of crucial. It's a big element. Sherry doesn't even have a type a dress that she would want in mind. She's been dreading this part. Her wedding that was years ago kind of ruined this moment for her. She had a controlling mother in law that wanted her to only wear a certain type of dress. That was her first red flag in the relationship. She should have known from then that the marriage was doomed from the start. Dress shopping serves as a reminder of her last marriage.

Kian knows about his mother's reserved feelings about dress shopping. Before there was Lear and all of his siblings, he was her right hand man. He may have not been there when she got married the first time, but he was there during the rough parts of the marriage. He's heard the wedding dress story a thousand times. He's concerned that his mom is not enjoying this like she should be. He expresses this to Nessa. She's going to help Sherry with finding a dress along with Roni, Mariah, and one of Sherry's friends. She understands the bond that he has with his mother. She thinks it's so sweet that Kian is worried about Sherry and her feelings. She promised that she'll be the best hype woman that she can for Sherry and she'll call him for backup if it's needed.

Lear can't wait to see Sherry in her dress, but he has to wait until the wedding day. He has had some nervousness about the wedding. His last marriage failed also. He's not worried about the marriage though. He knows that Sherry's different and he's changed a lot. He knows that he'll do anything to make her happy and treat he like the kindhearted would that she is.

Sherry gets to the bridal shop with her entourage behind her. She takes a deep breath. There's beautiful gowns everywhere. Everyone else looks at them in awe. They meet the person that's going to help them and they go to look at all the dress. Everyone else is picking out dresses, but Sherry doesn't pick a single one. None of them feel right. She just grabs one because she knows she has to try on something. She's led back with her choice and everyone else's.

The first dress she tries on is her pick. It's gorgeous but not her, regardless of how she feels about dress shopping. She walks out to show everyone.

"Ohhhhh!" Sherry's friend says.

"Wow!" Roni adds.

"I like it!" Nessa says.

"Cute!" Mariah says.

"It's alright." Sherry says. "It's not the one though." She goes back and tries on some more dresses. Each have the same response from her. All of them are gorgeous, but none of them are the one. This very well could be truly what's happening. There's been brides before who gone through dresses for hours and then finally found the perfect one. That's not the case with Sherry. Every dress she picks out is a different style and is doomed from the start. Nessa notices this and pieces this together with what Kian said. So she steps outside and gives him a call.

Kian gets Nessa's call. He was scared that this would happen. He stops what he's doing and goes to car and types the bridal shops name in for directions. He's not going to let his mom leave out of that shop without the perfect dress. She's done to much for him and others for her not to have happiness for herself.

Sherry runs out of dresses and goes back to the rack to choose more. She's met back there with Kian.

"Kian, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to help you. It looks like you haven't been finding luck with finding a dress."

"Yeah, none of them have been the one."

"I understand. Listen mom, I know you like at least one of these dresses. I don't know anything about dresses, but I know these are beautiful and would look great on you. I know this is hard for you but you deserve to be happy. Lear is not like that. I wouldn't let you marry him if he was. This time is going to be different, so try on the dresses and have fun. You're to good of a mom and person to not have fun."

"Thank you. I can't believe that you came all the way out here to get me out of this funk. You didn't have to do that. Since you're here, you can't leave without picking out a dress."

"Anything for you." Kian thumbs through dresses. He has no idea what to pick. He barely knows what he's looking at. He finds one that calls his name. He takes it off of the rack and gives it her. She tells him to take a seat while she tries it on. He obliges. She changed and walks out. When she does, everyone gasps.

"Are you ready to see yourself?" The sales person asks. She nods her head yes and turns.

"Oh wow!" She can feel tears coming to her eyes. They put on a veil and she really starts to feel emotional.

"You look beautiful mom." Kian says. Sherry smiles.

"This is the one."