Chapter 10

Sherry walks in an unlocked door. She closes it behind her and gets ready to ask the kids why the door was practically wide open but she stops when she doesn't her or see any signs of them being home. She investigates further and sees a basket with a doll with a knife through it head. Fake blood seems to be dripping down the side. She immediately calls Kian to see where he is.

Kian picks up the phone. As he's trying to calm down his mother and tell her what happened he's also holding on to the handle on the roof of the car. Mariah's speeding down the road to Luke's house to make sure that Malaya is ok. A phone call wouldn't do so she drove her way down to Luke's house. Kian tried to stop her but the only thing that he could do was get in the passenger seat and stay along for the ride. Sherry hangs up with him and calls Lear. He makes a U-turn and makes his way back to Sherry's house.

Mariah makes it to Luke's house. She practically bust down the door when she opens it. She's rushes through shop and up the stairs to Malaya's room there. She sees her swaddled up in her little swaying chair. She's sound asleep with her baby monitor close to her. Mariah sighs. She picks her up and pulls her closer to her and kisses her.

"Mariah what are you doing here?" Luke says in his groggy voice. He was awaken by the noise that she made coming in.

"The- the baby had a knife and sh-sh-she." Mariah can't get the words out. Until now she was more worried about Malaya's safety, now when she finally knows she's safe it sets in. Just the thought of someone doing that to Malaya makes her sick to her stomach. She breaks down. Luke takes Malaya, who is still asleep and puts her into her crib. He hugs Mariah and lets her cry. He still has no idea what's going on but it's obvious that it really bothered Mariah.

Sherry knows that Lear can handle whatever happened at the house. She drives to Luke's house knowing that it's where Mariah and Kian are. When she gets there she tells Kian to go home and get ready for bed. She finds Mariah and Luke. She leaves them be and tells Ms. Troung that Mariah will be staying the night and exempt from school tomorrow. She explains the circumstances and and Ms. Troung leaves Luke and Mariah be. She's sure that it will all be told tomorrow and everything will make some what sense.

Lear takes the baby directly to the sheriffs department. He can't investigate it until then because it will be considered tampering with evidence. He makes it back to the station and swabs it. He will send that in for fingerprinting. He sees no sorts of evidence. The only thing he can do is try to connect any type of clues. He's going to spend all night trying. He calls home and tells the boys that something happens at the office and that he won't be home until tomorrow. He tells them not to wait up for him. He sure they'll find out what really happened by tomorrow but he at least wants them to get a good nights sleep. He knows that if he told them, especially Aaron then he will be right there looking for evidence too.

The next day approaches. Kian and Mariah barely get any sleep. The image haunts them. Mariah keeps Malaya's crib close to her as she sleeps. She sleeps on the floor with Luke so that they can watch her. Luke tried to get her to get some rest but she just can't. She watches Malaya me makes sure that she doesn't leave her eyesight. Kian meets up with Aaron in the morning. He's talking to Roni. Kian pulls them and Nessa to the side. He tells them all that happened. He looks at Aaron's face and it tells all.

Aaron makes it through half of first period when he says he doesn't feel good. Roni and Nessa both know that's a lie. The teacher lets him go to the office. They send him home. They don't even examine him. They just take his word because of everything that happened. They think it's a thing because he got shot. He digs in his pocket for Roni's car keys. He'll come pick her and Nessa up later. He drives to Sherry's house. As he opens the door he says Sherry at the table with a box of tissues crying.

"Aaron, what are you doing here?" She dries her eyes and asks.

"I thought Mariah would be home by now sorry." He says. He sits next to Shery and gives her a hug. That's all that he thinks he can do. She hugs him back and he can see a smile form on her face. He forgets his angry and his want for revenge right then and there. He just cares about comforting the person who spends all her time comforting others. He never thought about it from her perspective. She's spent all this time trying to save these kids from their life and now they're all in danger again. On top of that it's an overwhelming situation to put herself in.

"Thank you. You're doing amazing. Thank you for taking care of us. I know it's a lot but we forever grateful if that means anything. I love you mom." He says

"Look at you comforting me when that's what a mom is supposed to do."

"Don't worry about it. Just returning the favor."

"Love you too son." She smiles.

Lear finally gives in and stops for the day. As everyone gets home from school they sit by and wait for the next surprise. They have no idea who's house or where it would happen. They go to Lear's house and waits for him to get home. As they do go to get a snack . When Alex opens the fridge for some ice cream he sees a full dead pig. It smells foul. There's a letter attached.