Chapter 59

The day before graduation is here. All caps and gowns are picked up. All party preparations are done. All that's left is for the kids to walk across the stage.

  Aaron thinks that today is going to be a perfect time to give Roni the ring. He's sure that they aren't going to have any private time tomorrow. He already asked her to come out with him today. She happily agreed and he's going to pick her up now.

With graduation coming up, family comes. The twins family is coming and part of Niyah's family is coming. It's a tad bit scary to Alex. Not only is Niyah's dad scary but the rest of her family is too. She's already said that they're very friendly and welcoming and he's sure they're great people. It's just tough meeting family. He's sure that skin color plays a role in it also. He obviously knows that Niyah is black and he obviously knows his race. He knows that his family could care less about what color Niyah is and Niyah's family the same, but her dad gives off a vibe. A vibe that he's not the one that he wants Niyah to be with. Creeps him out a bit. Aaron on the other hand isn't nervous. Maybe a little. Roni's family hasn't met him before but has heard a lot about him, so it shouldn't be bad. Kian has already met Nessa's family so it's nothing. It's just Alex that's worried.

Aaron picks up Roni. He didn't tell her where they were going. He just told her to be ready. He thinks she looks gorgeous. Light makeup and a gooey dress. She looks very ethereal.

"So what's the plan?" Roni asks.

"Hmmm, I don't know. I just waned to spend time with you before everything got crazy."

"I like that idea."

  Alex comes up to Niyah's room. Her dad hasn't made it into town yet with the rest of her family. She's not sure if their going to make it.

"Still no news from your pops?" Alex asks.

"Nah. He doesn't even speak to the rest of our family, I don't know why I expected him to fly them out."

"There's still hope. I know it's hard but you're always welcomed with me and my family."

"Thank you. You know I'm not going to let it get me down. "

"It's ok if you do. I'm sure it's hard."

"It is. I'm still like a little kid getting my hopes up for him to come. My family was so excited to come. No ones graduated college and only half made it through high school, so they want to be here. They just can't afford it. I thought my dad wouldn't be petty for once and just pay for them but I guess not." She starts to get emotional.

"Come here." Alex opens his arms for her. She comes to him as he comforts her. "You're out of here and off to college in a couple months. You can do whatever you want then and you'll never have to wait for him again. I promise we'll find a way for your family to see you walk across that stage."

Aaron and Roni pull up to a cafe and get some food to go. Roni is curious about this but doesn't question it. Aaron told her that he had a spot the he wanted them to eat at today. He takes her to a cliff. A scenic one. They move to where it's safe for them to sit near the edge.

"Aaron, this is so sweet." Roni says.

"You know I had to do something nice for you."

They lay out a picnic blanket and enjoy their lunch. At the end when their talking, Aaron reaches in his pocket. He pulls the ring out of the box.

"Did you get your nails done?" He asks.

"Yeah for graduation. How did you notice?"

"I just did. Can I see them?" He tries to smoothly transition his way into slipping the ring on her finger. He does. When Roni notices she gasps and covers her mouth.

"It's a promise ring. Roni, so much has happened since we've been together. You've been there for me since the beginning. I just wanted to give you something as a token of appreciation and to show you, I'll always be there for you. I want to you spend forever with you." He sentimentally says. Roni leans in and gives him a kiss. They cherish the moment.

Luke and Mariah have been thinking about how everyone is going to be gone off to college. They still struggle with having to live in two different houses. They want to change that. Luke has been saving up for years with his money from working at the restaurant. He never knew when he would need it. Mariah could always make some money doing hair or makeup. They want to move out and have their own house so that they can raise their child together. It would make it easier, so that's what they do. Their new mission is to buy a house.

As graduation day gets closer and night falls, everyone goes out to dinner. Roni flaunts her ring, Nessa talks about her outfit she's going to wear, Kian talks about his art. Aaron talks about how he gave Roni the ring, Luke talks about houses, Mariah talks about Malaya and helping everyone get ready tomorrow, and Alex talks about how he's excited for tomorrow. That family aspect is there. Everyone's excited for their new adventure and new journey in life. They all have different lives but when they get together, they all feel like one. They enjoy each other so much and love to look back on the memories they made with each other. Some memories are almost as old as they are, and some memories happened two seconds ago. No matter the age, they are memories they will always cherish. It's a bittersweet moment sitting here and talking about memories but they enjoy every second of it.