Chapter 24

Aaron is not about to get in trouble for Alex's mistake. As long as Lear doesn't ask he's not going to tell. If Lear asks he's not going to tell either, he'll just leave it up for him to infer.

"Your home early." Aaron says as his dad walks through the door.

"Yep, the case is coming along pretty smoothly so I came home early. I brought you guys some dinner. I'm still getting used to your orders so I don't know if this is what you like." Lear responds.

"It's ok."

"I'm going to take a shower. Tell your brother he can eat." Lear walks upstairs to the shower. Aaron quickly texts Alex that Lear is home. If Alex gets caught then the rules tighten on both of them. Of course Alex doesn't even read the message. Aaron shakes his head and gets up to eat dinner. This is going to be a long night.

  Alex doesn't check his phone. He put it to the side on the charger. He accidentally falls asleep. When he gets up to go to the bathroom he checks to see what percentage his phone is on. He sees that he got a text from Aaron. Dad's home. That was almost an hour ago. He for sure knows by now that he's not there.

"Shit, shit, shit" he says under his breath making sure that Lauren's parents don't hear him.

"What is it?" Lauren asks. She turns over from looking at her phone.

"My dad's home" he says. He slips his shirt on. He always takes his shirt off when he lays in bed. He grabs his keys and sneaks out of the window. The same way that he came in is the same way he has to leave. He speeds down the road praying that he doesn't get pulled over. Maybe he can make it in time. That's wishful thinking because as he opens the door and tries to disable the alarm and Lear is standing at the door. He has his hand out. Alex puts the keys in them. He knows the drill.

"Alex, I'm disappointed in you. At this point I'm not disappointed, I'm angry. I can't even trust you. I've been trying so hard to be lenient with you because this whole having parents thing is new but this is unacceptable. Don't even try to play the pity card this time." Lear says. Alex just sits and listens. Lear knows him to well because that was just the card he was about to play. "You should be glad that your brother risked himself getting in trouble for you." Alex hates this. It's all about Aaron.

  Alex gets his punishment. He sulks upstairs and gets in the bed. He doesn't even feel like watching TV. Lear calls Aaron downstairs. Aaron already knows what's about to happen.

"I get that you are brothers but you have got to stop helping him. He's never going to learn. I would hate to spread his punishment to you. I know it going to be tough on him but you can still have Roni over but with me or Sherry with you guys."

"Ok" Aaron says. He knows that he has got to stop enabling Alex but it so hard. He's been doing it for years. He's been getting Alex out of shitty situations since he's been at the orphanage. It was just part of their bond. Aaron has to keep reminding himself that it's not his role now. He is allowed to not bail people out.

  Kian was planning to sneak out some time tonight to apologize and try to get Nessa back but now it's going to be hard to. He thinks it's for the best because it would be weird for him to just pop up at her house after having an argument. He shoots her a text instead. A simple "can we talk?" Speaks volumes.

  Aaron FaceTimes Roni. She's upset that the rule didn't get lifted. She really misses spending quality time with Aaron. Yeah, they can spend quality time together in front of his parents but it's just awkward. They also can't have their conversations. The deep ones that help define their relationship. That's what she loves most about their relationship. Their ability to go deep but come back when needed. He was the first person that she opened up to other than James and now he's the only person that she's really open to. She's the first person that he ever opened up to period. It was a big deal for him to open up to her and now she's the only person that he dives deep with. It sucks that they can't have the very thing that brought them together but sooner or later it will come back around. Aaron and Roni are just talking  and enjoying each other presence on the phone when Nessa comes in her room. She shows Roni the text. Roni promises to call Aaron back then starts talking to Nessa. They come up with the idea that Nessa will respond. Roni really hopes that Kian is serious a means it because she wants them back together. Nessa needs that outlet and a person who been through pretty much everything with her.

  Alex sits in his room. His phone is on Lear's dresser. He thinks about going to get it but he's already caused to much damage. He lost all car privileges, which means that Aaron will have to take him to practice and games. This sucks. At least he knows that Aaron won't be rude about it. He's glad that he at least has brother who cares more about his well being than making fun of him. He does feel bad though. He didn't hear Lear and Aaron conversation and doesn't know if he got Aaron in trouble or did the consequence extend to him. He hopes not because Aaron had been doing the right thing. He may have slipped up once but Aaron needs to have one or two moments like that to make up for the fact that he missed so many. Alex sits back and contemplates his relationship also. Is it that clingy to the point they need to be each other every day? Is he in this just to rebel or because it's a safe spot? He's having the feelings that Lauren did. He doesn't know that though and it makes him feel even more guilty.