Chapter 54

Spring break has started. Roni and Nessa are used to taking elaborate trips on spring break. Their mom would pay and they would go. That's how it's always worked. Instead, this time they're going to Missouri. They're going to visit family before going off to college. Summer is coming and that's going to go fast and they really just want to visit family.

Since Roni and Nessa are going to visit family, Aaron is going to North Carolina. He has to go because the college wants it's basketball team there. They want them to visit before school starts. Aaron gets to meet his roommate and teammates. He also wants to get some closure while there. This is a big step for him.

Alex can't go to North Carolina. He doesn't want to overwhelm himself. He also learned that he's on the top 50 list of players in the United States. He did indeed beat the twins. He needed this. He did it without drugs. That's the reassurance he needed. He got his acceptance letter to UCLA. The one spot that he wanted to go. He can go to school with his girlfriend and get to play the sport that he wants to. It's a huge accomplishment.

Lear and Sherry go to Miami for spring break. They need a vacation. With the wedding being right after the kids go to college and all of the stress they've been to, they deserve it.

Roni and Nessa make it to Missouri. Issac picks them up from the airport. They haven't seen him since last year.

"How's things been going guys?" Issac asks.

"Good. Just hectic." Nessa says. They continue small talk until they make it to their aunt and uncle's house. They spend the rest of the day unpacking and relaxing at the lake. This is the break that they needed.

Lear and Sherry make it to Miami. It's nice and sunny just like Cali. They check into their resort and get ready to spend the rest of the day in the spa. They can't wait for their dinner dates and late night walks on the beach.

Aaron makes it to North Carolina. He takes a breath of the air that he hasn't breathed in over ten years. This place is foreign but familiar to him. He catches an Uber to the campus. He gets to explore. An assembly is called in the main gym. He sits through that. He's excited to be able to do this but these long assemblies are not fun to sit through. He can't wait until tomorrow when he can rent a car and go to his old stomping grounds. He gets settled in his hotel room and calls Roni.

"How was your flight?" He asks her.

"Good. Yours?"

"Same." They talk more about their day.

"I miss you already." She says.

"I miss you more. I guess this is what it's going to be like to be long distance."

"It sucks. You have to come vacation with us next time."

"I will."

"Before we say good night, please be safe. I know I can't stop you from getting closure and I wouldn't want your to, but I need you to be safe. The last time this happened, we were shot. I can't lose you so please be safe."

"I will baby. I promise you I will. Don't worry."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Niyah comes home from going to the beach with some friends. Her dads car is in the parking lot. Uh-oh. She puts on her poker face.

"Good evening Aniyah. Where have you been?" He also. His a tall, buff guy with a bald head.

"Hello dad. I went to the beach with some friends. When did you came into town?"

"Earlier this morning. Pack your bags, we're going on vacation."

"Dad, I have plans. You drag me out to a vacation that no one wants every year. Can I stay this year?"

"No. It's final. Ever since you came home from boarding school, you've had an attitude. I'm thinking about sending you back."

"Please no." She begs. She hates begging to him.

"Then I suggest you not argue with everything that I say. I make the best decisions for you."

Niyah hates that speech. It's the same thing every single time. It's ok though. She's almost out of here. College is calling her name. She shoves some stuff in a bag and waits for her flight later tonight.

Sherry and Lear really enjoy spending time with each other. They cleared their mind and have only tried to call the kids a handful of times. They really want to call them every thirty minutes to make sure they're ok, but they can't and they want to let them be free. They take a walk on the beach and think about their life together.

Niyah's flight lands in New York. She really wants to be happy but they go every year. She doesn't want to seem ungrateful, but she's trapped in her same suite every year with no one to talk to and her dad going to meetings all day. She has to kiss up to people at fancy events and just really wants the simple things. She calls Alex to update him in where she's at.

"What do you mean he told you to pack your bags?" He asks.

"He does it every year. It totally ruined my excitement about spring break. I just want something simple and to spend quality time with the people who want to spend time with me."

"Well when you get home, we'll spend as much time together as you want. I'm right here waiting for you."

"Don't make me get all sappy, I already miss you."

"I miss you too."

"Thank you for putting up with me and all the shit that goes on in my life." She says.

"Of course. I have hella shit that's going on in my life and you deal with it. It's the least I can do. Plus, I wouldn't want to put up with anyone else's shit but yours."