Chapter 38

The next three weeks go on as planned. Aaron has won every single game. At this rate it's looking like they're going to the state championship. Aaron is excited because he spotted in the crowd a recruiter. He already knows his name is out there in the college basketball world, so this means that he's one step closer to his dream. He knows that his next game is a big one. There's going to be more recruiters and more eyes on him. Normally he would work his ass off so that he knows that he's going to do good, but overworking has gotten him in hard places before. He hasn't spent time with Roni in awhile and he knows that they both could use that time together. After school he goes and picks up tacos from Roni's favorite spot and gets her a smoothie. He knows her order by heart from every restaurant. He make sure her smoothie doesn't have the usual yogurt that they put in it because Roni is lactose intolerant. He tends to pay attention to details but he's never known someone as well as he knows Roni. That's his other half and frankly he probably knows more about her than she knows herself.

Roni is upstairs doing homework. It's Friday and she likes to get all of her work done so that she has a free weekend. She hears the doorbell ring. Nessa is out getting her hair and nails done with Mariah, so she wonders who could it be. She looks through the peephole and sees her boyfriend. She opens the door for him.

"Hey babe, what are you doing here? I thought you go to practice by yourself on Fridays." She says .

"I do. I thought you might want some company, so I ditched practice." He says.

"I always enjoy your company." She moves out the way for him come in. He places the bags down and his book bag.

"Wheres Nessa?"

"Out with Mariah getting her nails and hair done."

"Didn't Nessa say that she was broke not to long ago?"

"Yeah but we both know that she doesn't make the best financial decisions." Roni says.

"Nails can't be that expensive."

"Oh trust me, they are. For a manicure it's like 25 dollars. If you get acrylics, it depends on how much you get done to them. They can be up to 50 dollars or more."

"Geez, remind me not to offer to pay for your nails." Aaron jokes.

"Awwww, you got me my favorite food and smoothie." Roni coos when she opens the bag.

"I was wondering how long it would take you to notice."

"That was so sweet of you." She gives him kiss.

"One more." She gives him another one.

"One more." Another one.

"One more."

"Aaron, the foods getting cold." She teases. They eat dinner while talking. She snuggles up to him in his lap on the couch afterwards.

"Are you nervous about the game?" She asks.

"A little. Seeing that college scout kind of put thing into perspective."

"I bet."

"Speaking of college, how's your project been going." He asks. He hasn't heard her say much about it recently so he wants to check back in with her.

"It's actually going really good. Come here, I have to show you something." He follows her upstairs. He sees a mannequin in her room. He's never been the type of person that's into fashion but what he sees in front of him is gorgeous.

"It's no where close to finished but you haven't been over here in awhile and I wanted you to see it."

"Roni, that's amazing! You're definitely getting in to that school." He couldn't be more proud of her. There was never a doubt in his mind that she was going to make something beautiful but this is beyond belief.

"You sure?"

"I'm positive." He pulls her into a hug and kisses her forehead. They stay there for a minute. Roni has to break the moment though.

"Did you put any more thought into where you want to go?" She asks.

"Yeah. It's kind of a big thing though. I'm grateful to go wherever but the two teams that I've always looked to are in North Carolina. UNC is my top choice." He says. She looks up at him, shocked.

"When you said it was a big thing, I didn't think you meant that BIG." She says. He laughs.

"I know, I know. It's ambitious and it's going to be hard but when has that stopped me?"

"It hasn't. I love that about you."

"This means we're going to have to be long distance though."

"Ughhh don't remind me."

"You know it has to happen." Aaron says.

"I know but I'm flying to come see you every day"

"Who's paying for that?"

"Fine, maybe not everyday but as much as I can."

"That sounds reasonable." Aaron wraps his arm around her.

  Lear is at work. He just came back from the jail and hit a major piece of information. He found out that both Wendy and Gina have something to do with the packages. He would have hoped that they learned their lesson, but clearly they haven't. He's not going to jump to conclusions because with this car, you never know. Right now he's dropping off whatever he's thinking about work and is going to meet his fiancé. He would hate to miss anything having to do with the wedding. His last marriage went downhill and he missed all the good moments for the same very reasons. He's going to fix that mistake now. Besides, he's excited for the wedding and wanted a break from work. As soon as this case is over and trial comes, he's taking a break because it's been a helluva couple months. He can't believe that it's been a year since he meet Sherry and almost a year since he's had kids. It really has changed his mindset for the better. He's just ready to get his kids some closure and give them the ability to move on with their lives with him.