Chapter 48

Aaron is overjoyed. He calls Sherry and she just as happy. She's been waiting for him to feel proud of himself and it has finally happened. Even though Lear isn't his biological father, Sherry sees a lot of similarities between the two. Lear had so much joy when he got closure for the kids. It's crazy how the universe works. She can only imagine how similar Aaron is to his biological father.

Roni jumps up and down for Aaron. She's just as excited. This is a huge thing for him. His smile brings so much joy to her. Seeing him go through everything and helping him through it makes this moment so special.

"I'm going to college!" Aaron says.

"Your going to college!" She hugs him again. For a moment everything stops. In this hug he melts into her. He's been wanting the world to slow down and it happens. When he pulls away and looks at Roni, he sees a smile as big as his. That's his biggest supporter. In this moment he realizes that this isn't just a high school fling. This is a forever thing. No one is going to love him as much as she does. No ones going to understand him as much as her. He's going to marry this girl.

Alex comes home. His mind is not on anything else but talking to Lauren. He's going to close this chapter because that's the only thing thats holding him back. He comes home to Aaron and Roni overjoyed. He automatically knows what's happening.

"You got in?!" He asks. Aaron nods. Alex gives him a huge hug. No one deserves it more than Aaron. For as long as he can remember, Aaron has put his heart into basketball and all that hard work has finally paid off. If he could've made it easier for Aaron he would of. Aaron's always been in his corner and he's always going to be in Aaron's.

Kian, Nessa, and Mariah get the news also. Kian feels like he got into his dream college all over again. Before Aaron was even adopted, that's been his brother. They've always each other's back and he couldn't imagine Aaron not being able to go through with his dream. In Kian's mind, Aaron always had a future in basketball. He was the one who gave Kian the inspiration to play. That changed Kian's life. It kept him out of trouble and level headed. He doesn't know where he would be without Aaron and basketball. Mariah had always seen Aaron played basketball. Aaron had been pretty much the only father that she had known before Lear. Seeing him go through with his passion really inspires her.

Lear takes off from his usual shift and picks up a cake. It's going to celebrate Aaron getting into college and everyone else who gotten into college. It's a proud moment. He comes in and hugs and congratulates Aaron. Seeing him do this for himself makes him happy. He sees a younger him in Aaron, but Aaron didn't waste his potential like he did. He wants it to stay like that.

Everyone eats their cake. All for individual reasons, they are proud of Aaron. He's had such a huge impact on everyone else and this is only the beginning of his own journey. To have almost everyone in college is great. Alex doesn't doubt that he's going to get in as well. Looking at how Aaron did it and he had no plans of ever making it, Alex's knows he can. Luke looks at him in the same way. Aaron has always inspired him from a sports aspect, but also from a personality standpoint. The way he became a dad to all his siblings is the way he wants to be with Malaya. He strives to have that level of self discipline, strength, and perseverance. With Luke's struggles with his parents and Aaron having similar ones, that made him relate to him even more. If Aaron can make it, he know that he can.

As everyone winds down for the night and goes home, Alex is wide awake. Just because he quit drugs and being naive, doesn't mean that he quit his mischievous ways. This time it's a good type of mischievous. He sneaks out. He hasn't done this in awhile. He texted Lauren with a hope that she would respond hours ago. She didn't. He still going to the spot that he told her to meet him at. He needs this closure and hopes that she's ready to get closure for herself.

Niyah knows some things about Alex, but not all. The way that he left her at the field today made her wonder. She knows that he must have good intentions behind it, but it just seemed weird. At least she knows that the feelings that she had weren't made up or one sided. She can't help but wonder why he ran off.

Alex pulls up at the park parking lot. No Lauren. He sits for a moment and she pulls up. He hoped she would. He gets out of his car. She keeps her distance. He understands. He looks at her.

"Hey, I know it was weird for me to call you and all but I just wanted to check in with you. I want you to know that I've totally changed and I hated the way that things ended off. This is not so that you forgive me or anything, but I needed to say this and make sure you alright." He states. This melts Lauren. To tell the truth, she was trying to get back in Aaron's life to get revenge on Alex. She was going to go through with a trial but the one she just went through scarred her.

"Thank you." Is all she says. It's all that she can say.

"I'm always here if you want anything else. The old Alex is gone and you have a new friend now." He smiles at her and gets into his car.

"Wait" She comes closer to him. She kisses him. He shocked. He doesn't kiss back at first but then gives in. There goes that sense of familiarity. This goes farther as she leads him in the car. This wasn't either of their intentions. They strip down and head to the back seat.

Alex looks at Lauren. He feels a huge sense of regret. This is not what he wanted.

"We can't keep doing this." Alex says

"What?"

"We won't keep doing this. I wanted closure, not this. I wanted to make sure that you were ok and thriving. I didn't want to be your downfall, nor did I want you to be mine. Lauren, I think it's best that we keep our distance."

"I think so to." She looks at him. There was still that glimmer of hope, but it's time to move on.