3

Chapter 3 – The Shadow of Madness
The girl I brought with me is still fainted, so I’ll put her to bed.

As Riko wakes up, she sits me down and stands in front of me.

This posture called ‘Seiza’ (sitting in front of one’s legs) with both feet on the buttocks is quite painful. According to Riko, in the eastern country it seems to be used to show apology and remorse for most impolite behavior, but will the people of the East not be numb?

“Serra. Why did you leave me to go help her?”

“Because I couldn’t leave it alone…”

“Isn’t Serra the one who said the mission comes first? You can’t play, but it’s okay to stick your neck out.”

“I’m really reflecting on that…. I mean, this posture really hurts my feet…”

“Hey, don’t move your feet! Anyway, I’ll call Karen to report in!”

When Riko says that, she takes out the handset on the desk and turns the dial. That number is a military line.

I receive the handset from Riko and respond to the call.

“Oh, this is Serra. Is that Karen?”

『It’s me. How many times do I have to tell you to call me Major General Dashwood? This is a military line.』

From the other side of the receiver, hear a dignified woman’s voice. This is General Karen Dashwood, my substantive boss and ‘faithful dog’ of the military.

“Excuse me, Karen… Major. First of all, I apologize for the delay before making contact.”

『I’ve heard most of the situation from Riko. Anyway, you’ve gone and done it again, didn’t you?』

“…… You’re right. Also, I ran wild…”

I had intended to settle the matter peacefully, but I didn’t expect to be swallowed up by the urge.

Recently, I haven’t lost control, so I guess I’ve been relaxed. It may be time to seriously think about what to do here.

『Well, you can’t help your murder impulse. I’m not going to get angry.』

“Thank you…”

『I just doubt leaving the suspect to civilians and sending them to the branch was any better.』

Karen’s voice changes. Her tone is calm, but there is no doubt. Now she’s insanely angry.

Even though I wasn’t there, I felt my blood draw back.

“W-Well, that’s… due to the severity of my injuries my appearance was too grotesque to roam around with, so I had no choice.”

『If you weren’t immortal, I’d have you punished, seriously.』

Karen’s words made me tremble.

The way she said ‘seriously’ was really serious. The second person was ‘you’ after all.

『Well? No matter how immortal you are, there are limits. You’ll get hurt if you always bother the military too much.』

“I am very much aware…”

– I don’t like it either, and I’m involved in the military.

I almost yelled at her when she said that, but I kept it in my heart.

Suddenly, I heard a small sound from the other end of the receiver.

It was a trivial, seemingly oblivious noise, but the sound changed Karen’s atmosphere.