43

Chapter 43 – Gentle Madness
The high-pitched sound of sword-fighting echoed.

Serra and Karen. Both their swords collided as they glared at each other while they battled.

“Hey, Karen.”

“Be quiet.”

Serra opened her mouth with a crazy smile that could freeze anyone who sees it.

“I’ve always admired you. You are the strongest and most respectable person I have ever met, and you have always been there for us. I’ve been chasing after your back.”

“……”

Was she trying to incite agitation in her?

However, Karen was aware that Serra’s words made her heart waver slightly.

Originally, Serra’s heart was weaker than anyone else’s. Karen also assumed that she would lose a loved one and shut down. And above all, Karen understood Serra’s pain very well.

──── When she lost Iris, Karen also threw everything away and tried to die.

But just because she could sympathize doesn’t mean she can tolerate her madness.

Serra’s sword, which had been interlocked with hers, was withdrawn, and she jumped backward to move away from Serra.

Serra opened her mouth and spoke to Karen without giving chase.

“But, Ms. Karen.”

Just for a moment.

For only a moment, Serra had her usual gentle smile on her face.

Immediately, she was consumed by madness and it disappeared.

“I’ve always wanted to kill you. I wonder how pleasant it would be to kill someone so strong.”

“…… Stop it. I don’t want to hear those words from your mouth.”

Karen, with a sad expression, tried to deny Serra’s crazy words.

“Hey, Sera. I like you. I thought of you as a real family.”

“…………”

“Please. I don’t want to fight you. Wake up.”

“I can’t.”

The voice came from her immediate side.

Before she knew it, Serra was standing to Karen’s right and swinging her sword.

“The feeling of not wanting to kill you, it’s already long gone.”

“────!!!!”

Immediately Karen swung the sword in her right hand and collided with Serra’s sword to parry the attack.

Even though they locked swords once again, Serra drew her face near Karen’s, without changing a single expression.

“I love you too, Ms. Karen.”

“Then why…”

“But I’m shocked. To think Karen was Undying.”

“…… tsu!?”

Karen was so upset by Serra’s words that she gasped.

Serra didn’t miss that opening.

Zaku, without hesitation, Serra stabbed Karen’s left chest.

”Gah, ah…!?”

“Because, you see, I’m stabbing your heart, but I don’t feel the sensation of taking your life. You’re moving. Still alive. Isn’t that proof of immortality?”