11

Chapter 11 – Raid ②
――――Olivia Midnight was a great sniper.

She was chosen as the right person for this mission because she had assassinated a great number of people and was recognized for her achievements.

“Su~u…… ha~a…… su~u…… ha~a……”

She puts her hands to her chest and takes a deep breath to unify her mind.

This was her routine in carrying out the assassinations, but she had less than an hour left to kill the target. Simply put, Olivia was extremely nervous.

Of course, she’s usually not that nervous. Being a sniper is an esoteric task that cannot succeed unless eye contact, timing, expected behavior of the target, wind direction and its strength, are all closely intertwined. But even with that in mind, this mission was too heavy for her.

If you succeed, you become a great hero. If you fail, you become a sinner. She came here with such a big risk and expectation.

“Okay. It’s okay, Olivia. If you do as usual, you’ll be fine.”

Self-encouragement, to further strengthen autosuggestion.

One hour left to kill the target.

At three o’clock in the afternoon, all fates are decided.

※※※※

“Welcome… oh my, it’s you again.”

When I visited the military archives, a woman called me.

“It’s been a while Ms. Chizuru.”

“A long time. You never come over merely to peep.”

This person is Ms. Chizuru. The librarian of this archive.

As the name implies, she is from the Eastern Country. Her peculiar accent seems to be a dialect from the western regions of the Eastern country.

The reason for visiting the archives is simple. Looking for information about the Undying.

The principle of immortality, and how to kill them. To look for it, I search through the books in this archive. Books are the fastest way to gather information.

“I simply come here because it is necessary. I haven’t found any notable information yet.”

“It seems so. After all, it’s remarkably vast here. It’ll take about three years to completely cover this shoddy building.”

I shudder to think that I have read so many books, but I have only reached one-tenth of them.

However, conversely, the archives are full of information. One or two pieces of information about the Undying should come out.

“I want to make progress soon …”

I muttered so as I put my hand on the bookshelf.

“Oh, Ms. Serra! It’s been a while!”

The voice of a lively girl echoes from behind.

Looking back, as expected, there was a girl with peach-colored hair running toward me.

She’s Gillian Stranger. A dependable new recruit who joined the team just recently.

Then, she comes up to me while laughing.

“Is it another book? My seniors are whimsy.”

“It’s close. Also why do you approach me in the museum just to say I’m whimsy!?”

“Look, here is the ‘Data’ building. Primarily, it is a place you can use to make preliminary arrangements for an operation and learn more about the details of an incident, so you should be fond of utilizing the place.”