39

Chapter 39 – Egos Fusing
I pulled out the sword stuck in Cecilia’s chest, and kicked her lightly to make sure she’s dead.

Then lightly shook off the blood stains on the blade.

“Um, senior…”

Gillian timidly called out behind me.

Without looking back, I just said a few words as I replaced my sword in the scabbard.

“What’s the matter?”

“I’m sorry! Even though it was on the spur of the moment, I put a bullet through senior’s head…. and, I strangled senior’s neck.”

“Oh, that’s it. That’s all right.”

When Gillian strangled me, it seemed so sudden that I thought she had become an Undying at one point, but apparently she went crazy by Sakura’s hands. Actually I was also hallucinating. Therefore, it’s best to let things go.

And that Gillian shot at me.

Come to think of it, when I fought Meena, Gillian couldn’t shoot me in the head.

Originally, she was an apprentice soldier who had no combat experience, and her sensibilities were that of an ordinary girl’s. It’s not a surprise that she refused my request at that time, and I don’t blame her for it.

But even though not much time had passed, she shot at Cecilia without hesitation. Did she feel her life was in danger, was it an act of trying to protect me, or was it some other reason?

But the fact is that her actions helped me. Thanks to that, I came one step closer to my goal of killing all the Undying.

But this was not the time to be optimistic. Riko was still in Sakura’s custody, and she was in a very critical situation. I have to get to her as soon as possible and kill Sakura and Rinka.

“Gillian. I think it’s probably dangerous from here on out, and you should turn back and meet up with Karen and the others.”

“… Wait, senior!”

“You don’t have to worry. I won’t die.”

“No, no, no! That’s not what I mean, but it’s also a follow-up to what I just said…”

“?”

I thought that Gillian was concerned about me and tried to stop me, but it seemed to be different.

The expression she had as she was strongly pulling my arm as if to implore me was a sense of unease and fear.

“You shouldn’t fight anymore …or else, or else senior!”

“What’s the matter with you, Gillian? After all, you’d better head over to Karen and the others and settle down――――

“Haven’t you noticed the look on your own face?”

Gillian pointed out the issue, and involuntarily I put my hand on my cheek.

My cheeks were slightly loose and the corners of my mouth were raised.

“You’ve been smiling the whole time. Since I killed Cecilia. This isn’t senior, and if you go on, you won’t be able to go back to my old senior!”

“Gillian”

Restraining Gillian, who was about to cry, I put my hand on her shoulder to calm her down, looked into her eyes, and answered quietly.

However, when Gillian saw my face, her expression was dyed with fear.

“Like I said, I’ll be fine. Just go.”