Dwalin X Sonja

[A/N: Angst Warning!!!! This contains talk of memory of rape and I want you all to know so I don't trigger anything in anyone reading this. If you can't deal with that then don't read this Set after BotFA everyone is still alive.]

I'm pretty tall for a dwarf, although that's natural in my family, and I'm also fairly skinny for a dwarf woman. It's not uncommon for dwarf women to be skinny, my sister Dis is fairly skinny as well. That's about where the resemblance between Dis and I stops. She looks more like our brother Thorin. I do not look like them, no I look like our late brother Frerin. Both he and I have dark brown hair. His eyes were just as dark brown as his hair, while my eyes are a dark honey in color. The difference between me and my siblings is I have no beard. I wish I did. Dwarves with no beard are considered ugly. Our people never make me feel bad about it though. I am very greatful to them. Because of things in my past I have to fight myself to feel loved, and they make me feel loved.

I'm jarred from my thoughts as hands are placed over my eyes. "Guess who."

I laugh. "Come on Kili. Let me go."

The hands drop away. Kili huffs and steps into view. "How do you always know its me?" He asks.

"Your voice silly." I look at my nephew with a smile. "Your beard is coming in very nicely, my boy."

He reaches up and stroaks his now dense but closely cut beard. "Think so?"

I pay his shoulder. "Aye." I look around the throne room and do not see the one I came for. "Where is Thorin?" I ask a bit grumpily. This is the third place I've looked that he hasn't been.

"I think he's with dwain training the new troops." Kili says and shrugs.

I turn and begin the trek out to the side of the mountain where the sparing ground is. Kili follows. "How come you're not with em?" I ask him.

"Oh I finished the archery lesson for them today, and Thorin sent me to find you." He tells me. "Y'all were supposed to meet but Dwalin wanted help with the newbies."

I nod. "Figures." Dwalin is Thorin's best friend. Mine as well. We've all been through many battles together, although Thorin is a better fighter than I am.

We walk the rest of the way to the sparing ground in silence. We hear the grunts and clashing of swords before we see it. Once it comes into view I see Dwalin sparing with a young dwarf. The newbie was doing well, that is until Dwalin knocks him off balance and he falls to the ground, Dwalin's sword pressed to his throat.

"Easy Dwalin. No badly maiming or killing." I tell him with a smirk.

Thorin side hugs me. "Alright guys. We're done for the day." He tells them.

Dwalin takes the sword away from the newbies neck and gives him a hand up. "Next time know the layout of the ground and use it to your advantage. Keep your footing." Dwalin tells him then claps him on the back and walks over to us.

"Try not to kill them." I tell both Thorin and Dwalin. They just smile.

"Oh we got letters in today. Some from Dains people in the iron hills some from our people in Erid Luien." Dwalin tells us.

I tense up at the mention of Dain and Thorin's hand on my shoulder tightens a bit. My pulse speed and I do my best to calm down. 'Dont melt down here. Don't melt down here....'

Dwalin's head tilts a bit to the side as he looks at me. I've gone pale. "You alright Lass?" He asks.

Thorin looks over at me and nods a little bit. "I..I've gotta go..." I say and quickly hurry off to my house.