Chapter fifty two S2 - Mountain

You both hit the ground and surprisingly didn't fall over. You looked at Inosuke who gave you a large smirk.

Then you looked over at Ceoko who was walking towards you, "You guys going to keep holding each other or are we going to the mountain?" He seemed annoyed.

You blushed and pulled yourself away from Inosuke awkwardly, "Great," Ceoko said before starting to move towards the mountain.

The mountain- OH- That was the first time you noticed it, there was a giant mountain in front of you.

Trees surrounded its base, you could already smell the dozens of demons it's covered in. Inosuke looked like he could sense them as well.

This would be a long walk, so why not make it a race?

"Race you to the top," You looked at Inosuke, he had already started running towards the mountain.

"HEY-" You ran after him.

Ceoko just shook his head, then started running after us, though he transformed into his cat form.

Along the way there were multiple demons, even though you and Inosuke went separate ways you always grouped up when there was a demon.

You always fought them together, it just felt right. You liked fighting alongside him.

You would claw the demon in multiple areas, confusing it. While inosuke would also jab at it and eventually slice its heads off.

All of these demons were low class, none of them posed a real threat. But when you finally reached the top, Ceoko was there waiting for you.

While you and Inosuke fought those demons Ceoko ran right past them, all the way to the top of the mountain.

"Hey, You cheated, Catface-!" Inosuke yelled, "Cheated? Me? There were no rules saying i had to fight those demons, you guys just did the work for me," Ceoko said as he transformed back to normal.

You wanted to rip that smug look off his face, but he was right. There were no rules against it.

You continued past Ceoko and pushed him to the side, Inosuke followed you and stuck his tongue out at him.

"You guys are just being sore losers," Ceoko chuckled, then followed us.

The mountain was covered in ash. It was still in its piles. They must've been here and defeated the demons, maybe a day or two ago.

You sniffed the air, you could sense their scents but it was coated in the smell of demons.

"Do you smell that...?" Ceoko asked, "Smell what? I can smell them and the demons they fought, the demons seemed powerful," You mumbled the last part.

"Not those smells... There's another one, come over here," He motioned you over to a certain spot.

You sniffed it, there was another smell. It smelled like poison, wisteria to be exact. Which would explain why Ceoko was standing so far away from it.

It was natural poison used to prevent demons, or to kill them.

Was there another demon hunter? The scent smelled feminine.

There was another scent, of someone younger, also female. This one smelled powerful.

One of poison, and a younger one of power.

Could they be the Hashira they were talking about before?

One of them wasn't so careful to hide their scent, the was a trail leading the way to wherever they were headed.

It was so faint you could barely smell it, it seemed like Ceoko couldn't track it either.

Even Inosuke took a poke at it, of course it didn't work- but good on him for trying.

Ceoko went into cat form to try and sniff it, he got a better lead on it but it still wasn't enough.

"Maybe if you went into your fox form we could sniff it out, " Ceoko suggested.

"But that's way too big- it'll alert whoever we're following," You said.

"Maybe we can shrink you down, you haven't tried doing that before have you?" Ceoko posed an idea that seemed impossible, how could you change your size...?

Unless...

Maybe this form had a lot more power than you thought it did.