Thirty-Seven

*Maddie P.O.V*

I stood quietly, listening to Brad run through all the different aspects of recording a song. He explained about the actual singing, what all the buttons, levels, etc all meant, and showing me how they use the computers to develop it all. One of their producers, Alex, was on his way over to help us with the recording, but Brad was filling me in and telling me basic information before we began.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; I could listen and watch him do this all day. I can tell how passionate he is about all of this, and I love it. It makes me so happy to see him happy.

"Is this all making sense?" Brad asked, and I nodded.

"I think I've got it. It makes sense, but I might forget." I laughed.

"That's no worries, I can help." Brad chuckled. His phone went off, and he checked it. "Alex is here, I'll go and get him." He said, kissing my cheek and then leaving the room.

I pulled out my phone and opened Twitter.

'Today is the day, stay tuned x' I wrote. As I pressed send tweet, the door reopened and Brad walked in with Alex. I'd only ever met Alex a couple times before, so we didn't know each other that well.

"Hi Maddie. Long time no see!" Alex said.

"Hey Alex, how have you been?" I asked, giving him a hug hello.

"Really good thanks, what about you?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, I've been good thanks." I said. "Very excited for today." I said.

"Yes, Brad sent me your acoustic rough recording and it sounded great!" Alex said.

"I could do with some tips though." I said.

"I can help with that." Alex smiled. "Wanna get started?" He asked us both.

"Sure." Me and Brad both said, smiling.

***

"You know how much I love it- no, that's not the one. Can we go again?" I asked, and Alex nodded.

"Of course." He said through the mic. "We'll go again. Could I suggest lowering your tone just a tiny bit more, and singing it like, 'out' instead of 'out'."

"Okay so, 'out'. Wait... 'out'." I sang, and I saw Brad clap.

"That's the one." Alex nodded.

I smiled, I was getting the hang of this now. Brad had recorded his verses before me, so that I could see exactly what to do when I was in the booth recording. We'd already done a few takes for me, but I knew this was the real thing and I was stressed about making it perfect. After this, we were going to come in together to record the chorus. I've never recorded a song before, I've only ever filmed covers in my bedroom and that's nothing like this.

"Let's go again." Alex said, and I heard the song start from the end of the chorus.

I sang through Maggie's verse, really enjoying it. The adrenaline rush of actually recording a song was just... amazing.

"Well, what do you think?" Alex asked after I finished the verse.

"You know what, that's my favourite one." I said.

"Do you want to do it again or do you think that's the one?" Alex asked.

"I think that's the one." I said, looked at Brad and smiling. Brad came into the booth, running over to me and giving me a hug.

"That was amazing!" He said, "well done!"

"Thank you!" I said, giggling. This is definitely one of my favourite things me and Brad have done in our relationship so far. Singing is such a fun thing to do, but singing with him is even better.

"Alright lovebirds, want to record the chorus now or?" Alex asked through the mic again.

"Yeah, let's go." Brad said, putting on some headphones. Alex came in to help set up a second mic, and Brad took hold of my hand.

"Hey Alex, would you mind taking some pictures whilst we're doing the recording so that we can use them for Instagram after this song drops?" Brad asked.

"Of course!" Alex said, and he walked back out of the booth.

"I can't quite believe this is happening." I said. "I mean, it's unreal."

"It is real, babe." Brad laughed, making me laugh as well. "I can't wait for this to go out for everyone to hear."

"We haven't even finished it yet!" I laughed.

"I know, I know." Brad said.

"I feel the same." I agreed. "I mean, all of it does."

"Okay." Alex said from back behind the panel. "Are we ready to go?"

"Yep." Me and Brad said, getting into our places behind our mics.

The track started playing, and me and Brad went to sing - but I missed my queue. Me and Brad began laughing so much that I ended up on the floor.

"Babe, you missed the queue!" Brad spluttered, holding out his hand to pull me up.

"I'm so sorry Alex." I said, wiping my eye as a tear rolled down. "Can we go again?"

Alex nodded, laughing, and the track started replaying. I focused myself entirely on the music, not allowing myself to be distracted by anything, not even Brad. And I did it, I got it the whole way through, keeping in time with Brad and everything.

"That was brilliant for a first time through! Let's do a couple more tries and then we can listen back to them all and pick our favourite." Alex said, and we nodded, going again all over.

Eight recordings later, and we both took off our headphones, hanging them over the mic stands. Brad held out his hand and let me out of the booth and over to Alex. After a bit of discussion, we chose the best one.

"Okay, this will take a while and I'm going to do a bit of work on this. You two can go for a break if you like? Get some food somewhere, or go for a walk, or whatever. I'll start to sort this out." Alex said.

"You sure? Do you want us to bring you anything?" Brad offered.

"I've got food with me in my bag, so I should be good." Alex said. "I mean, you two can stay but you've been here a few hours, I think you'd like a break."

"Awesome, text me if you need anything. We won't be long." Brad said, and we both walked out of the studio together.