Fifty-Seven

*Brad P.O.V*

I sat beside Maddie's bed. A nurse was in the room checking her over once again. There had been several nurses in and out this afternoon, as well as doctors.

Con was also at the hospital - he was out of the room on the phone to his and Maddie's mum. Tris and James were at Con's house picking everything up that the guys had destroyed. All five of us had to go down to the station to give statements once Maddie was out of the hospital.

"A doctor will be in in just a moment." The nurse smiled. Maddie nodded, I smiled and the nurse left.

Maddie rolled over onto her side to face me and held out her hand. I took hold of it, smiling at her weakly.

She had two black eyes, a broken nose, a massive cut down her forehead which had needed stitches and she'd gotten a concussion. She would have to spend the night in hospital so they could monitor her - she'd smashed her head pretty hard, they were worried and were doing tests on her.

"I'm so tired." Maddie yawned.

"Baby, you know you can't fall asleep." I said, pushing her hair out of her face gently. "The doctor said-"

"I know what the doctor said. I just need to sleep." Maddie whined.

"Stay awake for me?" I said, and Maddie smiled.

"Fine." She said, laughing lightly.

The door opened and Connor walked back in.

"Anything happened whilst I was gone?" He asked.

"No." Maddie said. "How's mum?"

"She's very upset with what's happened. She wants to get a train down here as soon as possible." Connor said.

"She doesn't have to do that. I'm fine." Maddie said.

"You're not fine, Maddie. But I've told her she doesn't have to worry too much because I would keep her up to date and me and Brad would take care of you. However, I said if she decides to come down, I'll pay for her travel costs." Connor said, sitting down in the chair beside me.

"Get your bank card ready then. She's going to come down." Maddie joked half heartedly.

Maddie's eyes started closing.

"Maddie, stay awake." Con said.

"Babe, look at me." I said.

"I'm sorry. I'm... I'm trying to stay awake." Maddie said. "It's just difficult."

"I know, but you can do it." Connor said.

The door opened once more, and a doctor walked in.

"Good afternoon Madeline, I'm Doctor Kahl." He said. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired and in pain." Maddie said. "But apart from that, I'm okay."

"That is understandable. The way you hit your head and the impact of the punches will be causing a lot of pain. Do let us know if it gets unbearable and we will see how we can help you out." Doctor Kahl said. "So, you will be glad to know that I've got the results of your brain scan here. You're all clear, there is no bleeding or immediate damage to your brain. However you definitely have a concussion from the impact to your head which you already knew about."

"That's great news." Connor said. "Obviously the concussion isn't... but that's the better outcome of it." He said.

"Where do we go from here? What's the next steps?" I asked.

"We'll monitor her for the rest of the day and overnight. If she is ok tomorrow, she will be allowed home. However if she isn't showing signs of improvement we will have to figure out a new path to go down." Doctor Kahl said. "Any more questions?"

"Not at the moment." Maddie said. "Thank you so much."

"It's no problem." Doctor Kahl said, smiling.

***

~2am~

I heard a scream and sat bolt upright in the chair. I saw Maddie thrashing about in her bed, although she was asleep.

"Maddie, baby, shh." I said, getting up and going to her, taking hold of her hand and pushing her hair back out of her face. "Babe, listen to me. I'm here. I'm here, shh, calm down. It's just a dream."

Her eyes shot open and she gasped, sitting up suddenly. She looked terrified, until she laid eyes on me.

"Brad." She said, and she threw her arms around me, hugging me and crying.

I held onto her, my heart breaking to see her this way. I hate seeing her sad, she deserves the world. Not this shit.

I held onto her, rubbing her back until she settled down and was able to talk.

"I had a nightmare... about what happened yesterday." She said, wiping her eyes and looking at me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"Hey, you never need to apologise." I said. "What happened yesterday was horrific. It's only normal that it's coming back to haunt you. You know that me, and Con, your family, the boys, we're all here to support you and help you through this."

"Thank you, I know you're all here for me and I really appreciate it. I don't know what I would do without you guys. Yesterday was the scariest thing that's ever happened in my life and I just wish I could put it all behind me and pretend it never happened, but it doesn't seem to be that easy." Maddie said.

"Anytime, it's not a problem honestly." I said. "I love you, Maddie. So, so much. I will always be around for you through anything. I am so sorry this happened to you, I feel terrible that I wasn't there for you. And I know the other lads do as well. But I promise, you're going to be okay." I said, taking hold on her hands and giving them a light squeeze, smiling at her.

"Please don't blame yourself." Maddie said. "It wasn't your fault, nor was it Con's, the lads or anyone else. Except the two guys who broke in of course. I love you too." Maddie smiled.

I leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Get back to sleep, it's late." I smiled, and Maddie nodded, smiling.

"Goodnight." She said.

"Goodnight." I replied, and she turned on her side and closed her eyes.

A/N

I keep crying over the new season of Riverdale, I-

Also, yay she's okay and safe :) Just scared shitless. I can't imagine what it must be like to go through something like this in real life like damn :(

Okay, hope y'all are okay, have a nice day/night and thank you for reading!

Ebony xx