Fifty-Five

~A couple of days later~

*Maddie P.O.V*

I stopped recording and placed my camera down on my bedside table. I was filming a new video for my channel, just a simple day in the life vlog. I slumped onto my bed, grabbing my phone from beside me and unlocking it. I went onto my Instagram, scrolling down through my tagged posts and interacting with as many fans as possible. This was one of my favourite things to do, I could literally sit for hours doing this.

Gods knows how long I'd been scrolling through Instagram before I heard the sound of glass shattering from downstairs, making me jump. I'm home alone...

Phone in hand, I crept to the door of my room. I could hear something moving around downstairs. My stomach was in my mouth as I tiptoed over to the stairs, listening even more. I crept down a few steps, but stopping dead in my tracks as I saw the reflection of someone in a mirror. My soul literally left my body as I realised someone had broken into the house, clearly thinking no one was home.

I swiftly made my way back to my bedroom and shut my door as quietly as possible. I looked at my phone and went to Brad's number, clicking call. He answered after a few rings.

"Hey babe, how's you?" He asked, chirpy.

"Brad, help!" I whispered, close to tears.

"Oh my god, what's wrong?" He asked.

"Someone's broken into the house, where are you?!" I whispered frantically.

"What?! Wait, someone's in the house like right now?" He asked.

"WHAT?!" I heard Con shout.

"Yes! I heard the sound of glass shattering and then noises from downstairs, so I went to look and I saw someone. Brad, please, where are you?" I started properly crying now, shaking with fear.

"Shit, we're like 10 minutes away." Brad said. "One of you, call the police get them to the house now. Someone's broken in, they're in the house right now with Maddie."

"I don't know what to do." I said, trying to muffle my voice.

"Wait a second." Brad said, and he hung up. Two seconds later, I had an incoming FaceTime from him. I answered, grabbing my AirPods from the desk and putting one in so that whoever it was downstairs wouldn't hear me.

I looked at the screen and saw Brad running. I could hear the sound of Con's voice, but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

"It doesn't matter, just get in we need to go!" Brad said.

Within seconds, I saw all four of them getting into Con's car. "Maddie, Tris is on the phone to the police and they're sending someone now. What's going on there?" Con asked.

I opened the door a fraction to listen. The noises were louder - they must be in the living room now. I closed the door again and sat back against it.

"It sounds like they're in the living room. Con, I don't know what to do." I cried.

"Just stay right there. If you hear them coming upstairs, you need to hide. Is there room in your wardrobe?" He asked. "Or under the bed? I know it's not great but it'll do until either we arrive or the police do."

I nodded and went to my wardrobe, opening the doors. "I can hide behind these boxes I have, so even if they come in the wardrobe they wouldn't see me unless they move these boxes."

"Do that." Con said.

I went back to the door, opening it again and just listening. Brad kept reassuring me I would be okay and that they were going to be here as soon as possible, giving me constant updates about where they were so I knew how far away they were. Also, Tris was still on the phone with the police, giving them updates on me and giving me information too.

"Do you know if there's more than one person?" Tris asked me.

"I can hear talking so there must be two." I whispered back.

I heard him relaying that to the police as I watched through the crack in my door, listening for where they were. I had never been more terrified in my life - I'd never been through something like this before, and the fact that I was home alone when it was happening scared me even more.

That's when I heard it - footsteps on the stairs. "Shit." I exclaimed, closing my door and running lightly to my wardrobe.

"They're coming upstairs." Brad said to the others, and I could hear the fear in his voice.

"How far are the police?!" I heard Con yelling as I used the light off my phone to get inside the wardrobe and positioned myself behind the boxes.

"Okay babe, don't talk now, stay as silent as possible. Open up your messages and type anything you need to to me. I'll only ask simple short questions so you can respond easy, okay?" Brad said.

I text him a quick yes, and then rest my head on the wall. I tried to steady my breathing, listening out for any noises. I heard someone opening the doors to all the rooms upstairs, knowing they would be in here soon.

Within seconds, my bedroom door opened and I heard someone walk inside. "Alright, there's no one up here." I heard a male's voice say loudly. Clearly there was more than one here then.

"Tris, did you hear that? One just shouted to another. Definitely more than one person in the house." I heard Brad say.

I text him 'hurry please'

"We're coming as quickly as possible babe, I promise. We're 5 minutes away." Brad said.

'But they're in my room!' My brain screamed, as I tried not to sob out loud. My makeup had run so badly it was beginning to sting my eyes. Please, get me out of this mess.

"Yo, come and check this room out. We've hit the jackpot here." I heard the man say again. More footsteps, and a second voice emerged.

"Damn, what do we have here?" I heard the second voice say. "Okay, get a bag out and let's bag this stuff up."

No, no no no. My laptop, iPad, camera, filming equipment, everything. It's all in my room, all there for them to take. Every last bit.

My throat grew tight and I started struggling to breath. Brad and Con were talking to me through the FaceTime but I could barely hear them. My head was raging and spinning, and I was struggling to keep my sobs inside.

"She's having a panic attack!" Brad exclaimed, and I could tell Connor put his foot down on the accelerator even more.

I let out a cry - quite a loud one. And they heard.

"Wardrobe." One voice said, and the wardrobe doors flew open. I dropped my phone in shock and fear, and the boxes flew away, exposing my hiding spot.

"Well look at what we have here." Two big, muscular, masked men stared down at me.

A/N

Help it's nearly midnight and I'm writing this, imma scare myself lmao

IM SO SORRY FOR THE PLOT TWIST - i needed something exciting to happen hahaha

Well...I don't know what to say. Have a nice day/night and thanks for reading I guess?

Ebony xx