Chapter 10: Pain

Pain

~~~

Soon we get there and I let Natasha go to the computer. I grab a chair a and sit next to her. I watch as she continues to type on the computer and I just continue to stare with a smile. The bar for downloading the intel is almost done when the door to the room is suddenly off the hinges as Steve lands on the floor with a knocked out George Batroc. "Well this is awkward," Natasha says with a smile as she looks at Steve.

"What are you doing?" Steve asks confused as he walks over to us.

"She's backing up the hard drive. Good habit," I tell him as I stand up.

"Rumlow needed your guy's help. What the hell are you two doing here?" Steve asks again looking at the computer, "Wait, you're saving S.H.I.E.L.D. intel?"

"Whatever I can get my hands on," Natasha says as she rapidly types.

"Our mission is to rescue hostages," Steve tells her angrily.

"No that's your mission," I tell him and he looks at me with anger. The downloading completes and Natasha pulls out the hard drive.

"And you've done it beautifully," she tells him.

Steve places his hand on her arm and I quickly pull it off of her. "Hands off, Rogers," I tell him as I tightly hold his arm.

"You both jeopardized this mission," Steve tells us angrily.

"I think that's overstating things," Natasha says.

Batroc suddenly gets up from the ground and throws a grenade towards us. Steve hits it away as I grab Natasha and Steve follows behind. Natasha shoots the glass behind us and I jump from the desk into the room and Steve does the same as the grenade goes off.

I groan when I feel shards of glass enter my back. I wince as I can't heal since the glass is still there. I can never heal when the object is there because if I do, I would be in worse condition. I slowly sit up and tentatively sit against the wall next to Natasha. "Okay, that one's on us," Natasha tells Steve.

"You're damn right," Steve replies and we watch as he rushes out of the room.

I start to feel the blood seep through my shirt and jacket. I sigh as I lean my head on Natasha's shoulder. "Eva," Nat says concerned as I close my eyes, "What's wrong?"

"Can't heal," I tell her and she quickly moves in front if me, "Glass. In my back."

Natasha's eyes go wide before moving me away from the wall. She holds me on my side against her chest as she looks at my back. "Okay, you'll be okay," Natasha says, but I can hear the worry in her voice, "Come on."

One of my arms wraps around Natasha's shoulder and she helps me stand then she grabs my sword from the ground. I lean against her for support as the pain in my back intensifies. The memories of not being able to heal when I was in the Red Room start to resurface. Every time they injected me with a liquid that prevented me from healing. The weakness I felt each time. The pain.