Chapter 36: A Tamed Beast

~At first, Dipper was confused about how they could tell that the beast was breathing heavily when it doesn't even have a mouth. Also, how do you even know that it passed out when it has no eyes? He questioned his ability in being able to figure out what's wrong with Xanthar. Xanthar isn't the same as a normal animal that Dipper is used to.

"Go ahead, try and figure out what's wrong with it," Bill said. Dipper turned his head towards Bill with his jaw on the floor. "Oh don't worry, Xanthar doesn't bite."

"Yeah but Xanthar could stomp." there was a shakiness in Dipper's voice, a little scared to get closer to the big beast.

Bill chuckled at Dipper's reaction. "It won't hurt you, promise. The big guy is like a gentle giant."

"The big guy is definitely a giant," Dipper commented again, looking up at the big beast in front of him. "What do I do?"

Bill shrugged, "I don't know, aren't you supposed to be the doctor?"

Dipper frowns, "Last time I checked, I don't have a degree in that field."

Bill frowned, "What field?"

Dipper shook his head, not bothering to explain. He took a step forward and Xanthar turned his head towards him. Noticing the human he has never met before. "How is he noticing me? He has no face!" Dipper panicked when Xanthar's big feet moved, one step from the big beast, and the ground shook.

Bill clapped his hands together, "You're doing great, darling." he teased.

Dipper held the urge to turn his head and glared at him but he was more concerned with the giant beast in front of him. He tried to take a few more steps closer to Xanthar but it was as if it was purposely shaking the ground from under him to prevent Dipper from getting closer and it worked. Dipper lost his balance and fell onto the shaking ground. What came next was something neither of them expected.

Xanthar lifted his foot over Dipper.

Dipper's eyes widen, "Uh- I don't think that's gentle." Bill's expression turned serious as he tried to quickly fly to Dipper. Dipper in a panicked state lifted his arms over his head to try and duck and muttered a spell in hopes it would work as Bill said. Then the ground shook again and Dipper was still untouched. He cautiously looked up and saw the protection spelled worked, a bubble appeared around him, protecting him from Xanthar's foot. "Ha- I did it!" He said in shock but quickly flinched when he felt Bill help Dipper back on his feet. "Bill? How are you in the protection spell?"

The serious expression still hasn't left Bill's face as he checked to see if Dipper was okay. "I was able to get to you before the spell activated." Bill puts his hands on either side of Dipper's face, "Are you alright?"

"Well, I'm not a pancake so I could say I'm okay." Dipper joked but Bill didn't find it very funny. Xanthar tried to stomp on Dipper again but the protection spell held but by the third stomp the bubble began to break a little. Dipper held onto Bill, "I thought you said he's a gentle giant!?"

"Well, I at least thought he was." Bill turned his head towards Paci-fire. "Call Xanthar off!" he ordered and he did what he was told. Once Xanthar was no longer attacking Dipper, he muttered for the spell to go away even though he didn't want to. Once Bill was able to leave the bubble he turned towards Paci-fire with a furious frown. He stomped his way to him and grabbed him by the neck. "What was that? You've told me many times he does not attack unless told to."

Paci-fire looked terrified. "I-I thought he did, but then again h-he has never been introduced to a human before. M-maybe he just got spooked?"

"That is bullshit! How does something as big as Xanthar get spooked by a small little human?" Bill yelled, but Dipper could see Paci-fire did not expect Xanthar to do something like that to him.