Chapter 23: Journal 2/Part 2

~The memories were beginning to connect, it was as if two things that had been ripped apart were now slowly reattaching itself, every detail becoming one clear frame.

Younger Dipper was back in the same Shack, on the same couch, with the same younger-looking Paul Daniel looking at him with suspicion.

"You want to learn magic?" Paul asked but his voice broke from his perky attitude to a tone that sounds threatening, dangerous. "Why would you want to learn magic?"

Dipper's voice got caught inside his throat. If Paul was willing to show him his more raw self, what else was he willing to do?

Paul knew the boy was no threat and can't defend himself, which only made Dipper's nerves rise than what they already were.

"Answer boy!" Paul snapped but didn't dare raise his voice if it means Grunkle Stan hearing his nasty tone.

"W-why not?" Dipper's voice cracked a little, sounding like a mouse. This made Paul smirk, knowing he had such power over the scared little boy. "I-I think it's cool..."

"You're only staying here for the summer break." Paul laughed as he leaned back, giving Dipper back his personal space and ability to breathe normally again. Dipper was confused about why he suddenly went back to his normal perky voice but that's when he realized Grunkle Stan was back with a jar of lemonade. "I give you no permission to learn it, young one. I do not want magic to spread out from Gravity Falls, this town is private with its matters." Paul then stood up and was walking out from the back door. "Goodbye, Stanly. It was nice talking to you again." and just like that, the men left.

Dipper let out a sigh of relief, he never felt so suffocated in his entire life. He felt as if he almost had a heart attack or pass out from all the negative tension. He worried maybe Paul saw something in him that will point back to Bill. Dipper didn't want Bill getting another visit from those horrible men.

He won't let that happen.

"Do you think he hates lemonade and that's why he left quickly?" Grunkle Stan asked, frowning into the jar and taking a sniff of it before cringing, "Welp, that smells like shi-" Grunkle Stan stopped as his eyes widen, the old man realized what he was about to say and stopped himself, "I mean, it smells like uh- um..." Grunkle Stan then with a sigh and a small shrug said, "Nope, there's no better word to describe it, it smells like shit."

Dipper would have commented on Grunkle Stan, but he had more important things to worry about, "Yeah, I'm sure it does but I have a question about something else," Grunkle Stan looks up from the jar, staring at Dipper who was still sitting on the couch. "Did Great Uncle Ford know magic?"

Grunkle Stan stiffened a little, he always hated talking about his twin brother because it always brought so many emotions and pain. But this time he swallowed the lump in his throat and talked. "Yeah, he used to be a powerful Exorcist. One of the best like Daniel."

Dipper cringed a little at the name. Bill calls him Paul which is his first name but everyone else has such respect for him that they call him by his last name, Daniel. "So does he have an office where all his research is?"

Gunkle Stan nods before frowning back at Dipper, "Didn't Daniel say he didn't want you learning magic?"

Dipper nods, "I'm not breaking any rules if I don't get caught." He stated simply which made Stan grow a wide smirk on his face.

"I've taught you well," He chuckled and placed the jar down, leading Dipper to the vending machine and inputting a code that caused a secret staircase to reveal itself from behind it. "Your great uncle was always a mystery." He commented with a sad smile on his face before turning towards Dipper again. "Now remember, be careful that Daniel never catches you."