Chapter 42: Revealing the Truth

Since Exonemesis is coming to an end and I'm a break for 2 weeks, I've decided to update every other day from now on. Who's ready? ;)

~Ms. Loba

~Once everyone was back at the pyramid Dipper placed the pups on Moddey's bed for the time being while he tries to figure out how in the world he's going to get puppy formula. Moddey sniffed the crying pups as they squirm around like helpless worms, unsure where their mother was and very much hungry. When his nose brushed their small little bodies he noticed they were getting cold and that's not a good sign.

"What should we do? They aren't at normal body temperature." Moddey said with a worried whimper.

"They need their mother to keep them warm with her body. We have no idea how long they were without her warmth." Gideon commented, he was sitting on Amy's bed with crossed arms. Not very happy that McGucket got to leave all ready.

Amy was sitting on the floor next to the dog bed, "Maybe you can keep them warm Moddey? You're a hellhound so wouldn't your body heat be the same as their mother?"

Moddey looked back at the pups. "Maybe?" he said, unsure. He carefully stepped onto the dog bed, making sure he didn't step on them, and carefully laid down. It helped stop the small hell-pups from squirming a lot, "I think it's working!" Moddey said happily, wagging his tail.

Amy too was smiling, "That's good, now all we need is Dipper to make the milk."

"I doubt the puppy formula would work for hell-pups," Gideon muttered. "I mean don't hellhounds and dogs have different diets so wouldn't that affect the milk or something?"

"Hopefully not," Amy said sadly, she carefully pet one of the pups. "If anyone could figure it out, it's most likely Dipper."

Moddey nods, "You're right."

Gideon rolled his eyes as he got up from the bed and headed out of the room. "I'm heading back to the dungeons." He said and disappeared into the hallway. Leaving Amy and Moddey to try and keep the hell-pups warm for the time being.

In the kitchen, Dipper was struggling to find a way to make puppy formula. He looked through so many recipe books and articles in hopes Bill would have anything but who knew a demon king wouldn't have a recipe for puppy formula. He felt like ripping his own hair out in frustration knowing he couldn't let those puppies die. Moddey looked so desperate to save them that it wouldn't be fair for him to experience another loss. Even poor Amy was so excited to watch them grow.

Dipper slammed yet another wildlife book on the floor, sighing loudly. Bill frowned down at Dipper who was sitting on the floor defeated. Bill didn't really like sitting on the floors in a kitchen but either way, he sat down next to Dipper. "I'm guessing you didn't find anything?"

"I'm not an expert in animals, so I honestly have no idea what you do with little pups who have lost their mother. Especially if they were literally just born." Dipper says, "I just know that milk from a cow isn't good. I recently found out that dogs are lactose intolerant which means cow milk would only make their stomachs upset and I'm only guessing it would be the same for the hell-pups. We can't risk getting them sick."

"Welp, you tried," Bill said, patting his knee. "Might as well break the news to Moddey sooner than later."

Dipper pulled Bill back down when he tried to get up from the floor, "We aren't giving up yet, jerk."

"Why not? You said it yourself that those pups can't drink cow's milk. So what else are they going to eat?"

Dipper thought it over, pursing his lips as he thinks to himself. "Well, there's soy milk which is created for people who are lactose intolerant but I doubt it would be a smart thing to give to a newborn pup from the underworld." Dipper thought out loud before a new idea popped into his head. "Oh wait, there's goat's milk as well, it has less amount of lactose than regular milk. Maybe that could help us keep those pups alive long enough for us to come up with a better idea?"