27: The Mission

The dedication for this chapter is for britbomber, who was my fan even before I knew she used wattpad, which is crazy and really amazing to hear! Thanks for all the support you've been giving me, and you're welcome for this chapter ;)

To everyone else, enjoy the chapter xxx

I had woken up and just changed out of my jammies when there was a knock at my window. My heart jumped at the thought of Kyle coming. Maybe he was going to apologize for pulling away from me like that, maybe he just wanted to see how I was doing. But then I saw it was Brook, and I tried not to show my disappointment.

"Sorry, it's just me." Brook grinned as I opened the window to let her in.

"What's up with you and your spies not wanting to use the front door?" Brook laughed, and shook her head in response. "So what's up?"

"We're going clothes shopping." She said, her eyes lighting up.

"What do you mean?"

"What kind of girl goes into a dark alley wearing 500 dollar clothes to buy weed? We need to get you black shirts, leather skirts, and full out winger eyeliner for the mission."

I rolled my eyes. "Look, I'm sure my normal clothes would be fine. Besides, wouldn't it be strange if I suddenly went out with a punk look?"

"Fine, maybe punk is too extreme, but your normal clothes are definitely not okay."

"Seriously, when I'm out there, do you actually think they're going to care about what I'm wearing?"

"Yes, I do. They will take into account everything, just like we do. There's a reason why they're our biggest enemy. They're not only powerful, but they're good."

I mulled it over for a second, but what she said next made my decision for me, "we don't want to tip them off that we have any idea what we're up to. We want to stay on the upper hand for as long as possible."

I frowned and nodded. When Brook said it, it suddenly made everything so much more real. This was going to be dangerous, and we had to eliminate whatever risk we could. I felt so dumb and inexperienced at that moment.

Brook put her arm on my shoulders. "First rule to learn when you become a spy, my dear Cassie, is to never underestimate your opponent."

"Fine then. We'll go dark alleyway shopping."

There was a knock at the door, and Brook and I whirled around to see Melissa entering.

"I'm sorry, miss, but I couldn't help but to overhear that you'r going to some dark alley?"

I looked at her with wide eyes. What else did she hear? "Uhm...yeah, I am, but only as a detour. There's some...stuff I need to pick up before going to a friend's house."

"This isn't my place, but...I don't think that's a good idea."

"Don't worry, it's going to be perfectly safe." I replied.

"Well, at least let me come with you."

I laughed it off, and I hoped she didn't hear my nervous edge. "No, no, no, that's not necessary. Besides, it's going to be on a weekend, I don't want to make you work longer."

Melissa nodded, looking concerned. "Please be careful miss. A beautiful young girl like you, with such a bright future ahead, if something bad happened..."

"I know. We're taking every safety precaution there is."

"We?" 

"Yeah, me and my friends. They're from my school."