40: Team A-6

I woke up due to some muffled conflict, which I opened my eyes to see was Ollie and Roselle. 

"I don't want you to be influencing her badly. We finally got her to join us, why would you want to risk her changing her mind?" Roselle hissed.

"If she did change her mind, she wouldn't possibly be able to back out now. Besides, shouldn't you have more faith in her?"

Roselle let out a defensive growl, but she soon realized my eyes were open.

"Oh! When did you wake up?" Roselle gasped, sounding slightly startled.

"Just now." My voice came out scratchy and groggy, doing the trick to ease her of her nerves of being heard.

"Well, get ready for your first day of training and classes. Wear something comfortable but not completely unpresentable." She said, and walked out of my room with the clicks of her high heels.

I turned to Ollie, who looked grumpy to be woken, and her outfit from last night wrinkled.

"What do people usually wear to this training?"

She shrugged. "Mainly workout clothes. But you need to look badass today or else you're going to get your ass kicked." She started shoveling through my closet to choose my outfit.

"What do you mean, they're going to kick my ass?"

"This is like the military here. They get a lot of people to work here, and a lot of them are seriously pissed off at you that you'll automatically be the five-star general in a while  even though you just suddenly popped into this life."

"But I didn't have much choice in the matter."

"Yeah, but do you really think they're going to listen? Some people here have been committed here since grade school."

I gaped at that. I had no idea how this place was run, but the fact that people were joining when they don't even know what they want yet, or even have the capability to speak for themselves, was alarming.

I didn't have anymore time to ask questions as Melissa walked in to do my hair and makeup for the day. I changed into the clothes Ollie tossed me as Melissa struggled to keep me stable enough to do a braided pony which was pretty but would also hold during my long day.

"Shit, you're actually a twig." Ollie commented as she took in my appearance. "I could totally snap you in two."

I grimaced, regretting my lapse in judgement when I stopped eating due to anxiety of this entire situation. Noticing my discomfort, Ollie wrapped an arm around me.

"Don't worry, with the crazy training they have here, and by the way I've seen you eat, you're going to be whipped into shape in no time. You just look like a runner right now, that's all."

She passed me black sneakers to wear, and I glanced at myself in the mirror and my nerves etched away slightly. Though I did look thin, I looked the most badass as I could possibly be. I was wearing grey, subtly shiny leggings and a black tank that made my arms look toned. Melissa had done a quick flick of a wing eyeliner on my eyes—the best waterproof ones, she promised—and I looked, and felt, ready to conquer the world. Or in my case, the Shadow Legion. Or, this training, I guess; let's start small.

"Melissa, Ollie, you two are the best. I would be lost without you." I told them, and they grinned at me.

Ollie and I were finishing up breakfast in the dining room when Roselle approached us. Without a word, she nodded curtly and I knew it was time for me to head to my training. Suddenly anxiety and adrenaline pumped through my blood, making me stand alert from my toes to the pounding energy in my brain.