60: Epilogue

Her Scarlett green eyes were misty under the white veil, and in the oasis of blue and green under the Hawaiian sun her shimmering white dress danced like a swan in a pool of liquid turquoise. She was getting married in her favorite place on Earth, the place where she grew up, where she found her closest friends and family. Where she had felt defeat and victory, incredible pain and indescribable love, where she had sprayed the ashes of her best friend. A stunning, intricate diamond ring slid onto her slender fingers as she said, "I do." She took in her partner, how they met in such unconventional ways, and how grateful she was to find such happiness when she thought she could never find it. With the way she grew up, happiness was a privilege, loyalty a demand. She never believed she would find love in a beautiful stranger who wound up on her favorite island, clad in dark boots and a low V-neck and the kindest, most devilish personality.

Ollie took in Brook, with the wild red hair that she couldn't keep out of her mind. Her white veil swept over her hair and shoulders, but they could never hide her beauty. Brook winked at Ollie, and they both felt liquid luck rushing in their bloodstream. She knew she could kiss her in only a few short minutes of the ceremony, where they would be bound forever. Still, she couldn't wait.

She never believed in marriage, and neither did Brook. But this was more than a contract. It was the proclamation to be life partners, to be at each others' side forever more. 

Also, a middle finger to anyone who'd told them that girls couldn't love girls.

I leaned into Kyle's shoulder as he wrapped his arm around mine and I whispered, "I don't think I've seen either of them dress in all white before."

He chuckled, "I was honestly expecting a gothic wedding."

The wedding was beautiful. To match the blue-green scenery, the flowers and decorations were lighter shades of the setting to emphasize the natural beauty of what surrounded us. The brides stood at the altar right by the lagoon, the backdrop a setting I thought were made up by Hollywood and bridal magazines. 

I saw Mikey in front of me, sobbing at his sister's joyous expression, and his fiance looked around in utter shock. It was the first time he'd taken her to the Scarlett Legion's Hawaii branch, and her expression was comical. She noticed Lei in one of the seats, and her eyes almost popped out of her head. Lei was a three-time Olympic track gold medalist, and one of America's most famous athletes. She also kept glancing at the various security guards that flanked the ceremony, because many people at the ceremony were civilians. I had gotten so used to security like that, seeing people's reactions to daily things at the Legion reminded me that, no, this is not the way most people live. 

Alec sat with his husband of two years in one of the pews behind us. He and Zayden seemed to not have worked out in the end. Auden was also here with Rebecca somewhere. They had taken a break during college, but realized no one could understand the struggle of growing up in the public eye quite like they did for each other, and they found their way back. Their wedding was in every gossip magazine I came across at the supermarket.

"I now pronounce you wife and wife," the officiant proclaimed, and there was uproarious applause as Brook and Ollie jumped into each other's arms and linked their lips lovingly. I couldn't help the tears flowing at the union of my best friends, and Kyle helped me up to join in the applause and cheers.

After the service, I found Trevor and Julianna. Still as goofy and flirty as ever, even though they were nearing their 30's.

Julianna squealed as she came to hug me. "How are you?"

I laughed as I hugged the two love birds. "Very pregnant."

"God, yeah. How far along?" Trevor asked.