17: Abduction

"You so are jealous." Kyle said back.

"Am not!  I just don't like Nova and I don't really want you hanging out with her, much less flirting with her."

Kyle kept his cocky smirk, and I felt sort of embarrassed at my sudden outburst.  Why did I just act out like that like a crazy person?  I wasn't the kind of person to try to interrupt people when they were flirting...

"Well, anyway, it was too crowded in there and I was getting sort of claustrophobic."

"You're a great liar," Kyle said, sitting down on the edge of the water fountain, "but I'm good at telling if someone's lying or not."

I glared at him, knowing he was most probably right.  I would bet an entire chocolate cake that he was trained to know when someone was lying.

I sat next to Kyle.  "Why were you flirting with her anyway?" I asked him in a simply curious tone.

"I don't know, I just sort of thought it was fun." I bit the inside of my cheek and tried to ignore the pain that ached in my chest.  Nova may have been slutty and I looked down on her for that, but she was definitely prettier than me.  I just thought, for once, a guy would be more interested in the girl's actual personality instead of their looks.

Especially a guy like Kyle, who is literally my only friend at this school.

I chose not to say anything else, because I felt like the next words that would leave his mouth wouldn't make me feel any better.  I glanced at Kyle, looking into space with a dazed expression.  He was in a completely different world, and I wondered what he was thinking.  It made me frustrated because he seemed to know me so well but I barely understood him.

I suddenly wanted to go home.  Maybe inviting Kyle was a bad idea.  I like him, but he might be thinking of me as obnoxious for inviting him to a party when he absolutely despises them.

"Let's go back inside." I suddenly said, not wanting to be alone with him anymore.  I would only fill myself with pessimistic thoughts.

Kyle followed me inside with a shrug, and I walked into the middle of the dance floor where sweaty teenagers were jumping up and down.  I didn't know who the kids were, but they seemed to be juniors or sophomores.  I started dancing with them, and screaming the lyrics of some Jason Derulo song.  Kyle watched me for a second, and then to my immense surprise, started dancing with me.

"You're actually dancing!" I yelled over the sound at Kyle, who rolled his eyes.

"I'm not going to stand there like an idiot."

I didn't even know what we were doing, but we danced randomly to the loud music coming from the speakers, and other teenagers danced around us, and eventually Wendy and her three friends made their way towards me.  The moment I spotted Nova I wanted to kick her barely covered butt out of the auditorium.

Nova put her hand on Kyle's, moving close to sway her hips next to his.  

I won't act all crazy again, I told myself as I forced myself to turn the other way and dance with some other people in the crowd.

"Hey Cass, nice moves!" Lily said to me, her blue gown shimmering in the dim lights.

"Thanks, you too!" I said back, trying not to think too much about anything as we danced.  A boy I felt like I'd seen before made our way to us and greeted Lily.

"Hey, I didn't know you danced!" He yelled to me, and I smiled a little.

"I'm not really the type, but today's an occasion." I told him, and he gave me a thumbs-up.