43: Wild Light

"We're going out." Ollie demanded, and I looked at her quizzically as I peaked over my book.

"I told you we'd go to a club remember?"

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about her telling me that.

"Oh." I said lamely, putting my book to the side.  "We're still going?"

Ollie rolled her eyes. "I'm pretending I didn't hear that." She dramatically flung my closet doors open, rifling through my clothes.

"I can't deal with you," she said, showing me my maroon flannel shirt and my dark green genie pants. "How many pieces of baggy clothes do you have?"

I stuck my tongue out at her. "What's so bad about them?"

She huffed. "I won't answer that. But tonight...you're wearing something that hugs your skinny little frame."

She finally tossed me a few pieces of clothing, and I held it up to see what she had given me. 

"Seriously? Tight leather pants? I don't have the ass to pull this off."

"You have the legs."

"I really don't, and imagine how hot it'd be."

Ollie sighed as she went shoveling through my clothes—both the ones I brought and the pile that was already here when I got here.

After much debating and compromise, we finally settled on a lace-up halter crop top, a tight burgundy skirt, and a surprisingly comfortable pair of strappy ankle heels. 

Ollie looked quite proud of me as our limo pulled up in the underground garage of the headquarters. "Take us to Wild Light, please." 

The driver grunted and started driving out of the  garage, and entered the lush forest that surrounded the Shadow Legion Headquarters. I was surprised to see that only after 30 minutes of driving, the amazon-like jungle faded away to a vibrant tropical city. Restaurants and boutiques flashed by, and I was so thankful to see other people—normal people—that didn't even have a clue they were only half an hour away from the nest of a major criminal spy society. Just people, enjoying the warm evening breeze, out to have fun. I felt myself relax for the first time in a while, and actually excited to have a good time. 

I was looking through the window when I spotted a familiar object that made my heart stutter. 

"Wait, stop! I need to get that." I almost yelled, to which both Ollie and the driver jumped.

"Jesus, what?" Ollie looked at me like I had gone crazy. I looked at her sheepishly and pointed to a little store selling lotions and shampoos. Our driver parked close by and I almost ran out the car to grab the shampoo I saw through the window. It was the exact same brand and scent shampoo that Kyle used in his apartment. The lemon and mint and sage smell, the scent that Kyle often teased me about when he caught me breathing in him, the scent I would remember when I fell asleep in his arms. I grabbed a huge bottle of the shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and a big tub of body butter as well, and Ollie cocked an eye brow at me.

"What is your obsession with this smell?" 

I just shrugged and went to the cashier to pay for all that was in my arms, as the lady at the cashier also looked at me a little strangely. When we got back in the car, I opened the body butter and inhaled the scent, taking a generous amount and spreading it on my arms. I pretended I was in his apartment again, in his bathroom, using his shampoo for the first time after I had been kidnapped by the Legion during the Halloween party. I was so scared then, but I would do anything to be back there.

"It smells nice, but damn, get a room." Ollie complained, making me laugh and put the lotion away.

We pulled up at a night club, Wild Light, and it was true to its name. There were cool flashes of lights around the entire building, and house music was booming even from outside. I could tell Ollie was ready to get drunk and break out some dance moves in the way she smiled and nodded her head to the beat of the song. In a way the music was infectious, and it put me in the mood to dance my not-so-coordinated dance moves.