06: The Hangover

I threw up into the toilet and groaned.

I was such an idiot.

How did I possibly think I would be perfectly fine, drinking two alcoholic drinks right after each other? I could barely drink one without getting drunk off my head, what was I thinking, drinking like that?

And fainting in front of Zayden, too. That has to be the most embarrassing thing I have ever done.

Which is saying a lot, being that I am a very awkward and embarrassing person.

I was lying on my bed, with a massive headache and a feeling of shame to accompany me. I was staring at my bedroom ceiling, at the elegant chandelier that swayed gently whever my air conditioner hit it, when someone knocked on my door.

"Come in." I called, not looking away from the ceiling.

"I heard you joined your brothers yesterday at their party." I looked up. I was expecting Melissa to come in with my breakfast, but it was my mom.

I sat up. "yeah, yeah."

My mom nodded and sat on my bed. "I understand that you want to socialize with their friends, but you really shouldn't be drinking."

My heart sank. So my mom was going to start lecturing me?

"Honey, your dad and I let you drink with us once in a while, and we all know you're very weak to alcohol. We shouldn't even have let you drink at all, but we thought you could handle it."

"I can!" I protested.

My mom raised an unconvinced eyebrow. "You fainted yesterday. You're lucky Zayden caught you and brought you back to your room."

My eyes grew a bit wider. "Zayden brought me to my room?"

My mom nodded, and I buried my face in my blankets. I was so pathetic.

"You never drink at parties...does this have something to do with impressing Zayden?"

I snapped my head up to look at my mom. "What? NO!"

My mom shrugged. "Either way, I'm very disappointed in you."

Suddenly a flare of anger struck inside of me. "Mom, when Auden and Alec were my age, you let them go to these kind of parties all the time, and they always came home drunk but you didn't care!"

My mom pretended like she didn't hear what I said. "You're very lucky you got drunk at home. Who knows what could have happened if you passed out at someone else's house?"

"So what, are you going to ground me for a month?" I spat the words out in a venomous tone.

To be honest, I sort of wished my mom would start yelling at me or take something away from me so that I would have something to be mad about, instead of being ashamed.

"No, I think it'd be better off if I left you moping quietly in your room." There was a hint of a knowing smile on her lips.

Damn, my mom knew me well.

My mom left my room without another word and I fell back on my bed. I stared at the ceiling again, feeling terrible.

I was lost in my daydream, my hands covering my eyes, when someone knocked and came in. I peeked through one of my hands to see Melissa, with my breakfast.

This was the first good thing that happened to me.

"Yes! Food!" I exclaimed, and Melissa laughed softly.

She placed the tray in front of me. "Breakfast in bed? Thanks a bunch."

The tray had a plate of pancakes with a container of maple syrup and a cup of Nutella to the side. There were two strips of bacon to the side, and a large glass of milk. There was also a small glass of water and a small red pill.