12: Stuntman

The science teacher's dreary voice droned on and on as I tried hard to concentrate. I almost put my head down, but I didn't, because I didn't want to get in trouble. My eyes were starting to droop, and I fought hard to keep them open. I decided to get a distraction by looking around the room, and immediately regretted it.

My eyes met Zayden's who was no doubt looking at me from before. We both instantly looked away, but it was enough to make me feel sick. I avoided Zayden at all costs, and I hadn't talked to him ever since he came looking for me by the tree.

Whenever I thought of Zayden I could only think of that night and the bet, which made me terrified and angry at the same time, and I most definitely did not want to talk to him. Whether he regretted doing what he did or not, I couldn't forgive him. Not now, and probably not ever.

I was thankful I didn't have many classes with him. He was a grade above me, and only a few classes were multi-aged, so I only had one or two classes with him.

Once class ended and lunch came up, I was in no mood to talk to anybody. I wanted nothing more than sit by my usual tree with a book as my only company.

I was such a loner.

I was in line at the dining hall getting a hamburger that I could carry outside when someone from ahead of me in line called, "Cass!"

I looked up, and Wendy was making her way towards me, maneuvering her way around the people who were giving her irritated looks. She put her tray beside me, and smiled.

"I was looking for you everywhere!"

"Well, here I am." I said. I doubted it was very hard to find me.

"I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. Nova is the gossipy one of the group, and she always likes to talk about guys and relationships. She was just curious, it's the way she is." Wendy said as we scooched ahead in line.

"It's fine, don't worry about it." I assured her. It was hard to stay mad at Wendy when she was so soft and gentle. She was sort of an airhead but well-intentioned.

"I really thought it's be nice if you could hang out with us."

"It's fine, really. Just don't expect me to sit with you all anytime soon."

Wendy nodded. "But...would it be okay if we hung out? Like, just the two of us?"

I smiled at her. "Of course."

Wendy's face lit up and she put in her student ID for the payment of her food. She waved to me as she headed to her usual seat. I paid for my food as well, and grabbed the bag which had my hamburger in it, and headed to the park.

When I got to my tree, Kyle was already there. I was surprised, but I decided not to make a show of it.

I sat down next to him and opened my lunch. I popped some fries in my mouth before taking a big bite from my hamburger. It was still hot, just made, and the meat was juicy, causing me to swoon.

The school cafeteria's food was the best.

"You eat like a guy." Kyle commented, and I turned towards him with an arched eyebrow. His statement was rude, but his eyes held amusement.

"You sit in my special spot, and you comment on how to eat? Really?" I said, teasingly instead of harshly.

"It's not your spot," Kyle said with an easy grin, "it's the school's land."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Anyway, eating like a guy is not a bad thing."

Kyle let out a small chuckle as he munched on his bag of chips as he tapped something on his phone. He was so addicted to his phone, it was ridiculous.