53: Forbidden Island

Saturday evening: there was only one more day until my first ever mission. We hadn't stopped working, thinking, or talking about this, and we couldn't be much more prepared. We were the most qualified of all the Shadow Legion. And yet.

"I'm nervous." I said suddenly.

My entire team A looked up at me. Those were the first honest words any of us had uttered about how we were feeling about this mission. It was only a surveillance mission, but we were all on edge, and we all knew it.

"Me too." Trevor said, and everyone else nodded their agreement.

"We've all done this before, though," Niko said. "Even you, Cass. All the training we've done, both before and for this mission, they've all prepared us way more than we need."

"Right. But still. Is it just me that feels like some information is... missing? Like we didn't cover everything, or something bad is about to happen?" Julianna asked.

We all looked up at her, and made eye contact with each other. We had all felt the same thing.

"Is it possible that the Legion didn't give us all the information?" I prompted.

"Well they never told us much backstory about who this base belongs to... but of course we're following a strict need-to-know basis and maybe we really don't need to know." Lei reasoned, but I could still tell she felt strange about the mission. Lei was one of, if not most, qualified of us all, and she was always so level-headed. 

"There's no reason overthinking it. We've ran through our plan play by play, when we get there we'll know what we're doing." Niko assured us. We all prayed that was true.

* * * * *

Ollie helped us lug all our equipment into the submarine, from all our Scuba gear, weapons, computers, comms, and at least a week's worth of food.

"You guys are only going to be gone for like a day, why do you need so much food?" Ollie asked.

"Never underestimate the power of food." Niko said, "last time I was on a mission we were about to kill each other. Then we all had a few Milky Way bars and everything was okay."

Trevor let out a hearty laugh. "I remember that."

Everyone piled into the submarine, and only Lieutenant Davidson was there to see us off and make sure everything was okay. For an official mission, it felt so unsupervised. And I trusted my team, but I couldn't help but feel like none of us were truly ready for what was to come.

"You have nothing to worry about." Ollie said, noticing my hesitation to get on board.

"Yeah. Just nerves, you know." I told her, and she nodded.

"I remember my first mission. It had...its turn of events. They all do. But you are a quick thinker and you have the most talented team with you. Everything will be fine. Once you come back we'll discuss more, okay?" She said, and tugged at the red ribbon I tied around my wrist. She winked and tugged at her own, before giving me a hug and ushering me into the submarine.

"Welcome aboard, princess." Niko said with a contagious grin, before the submarine doors closed and we were plunged underwater.

* * * * *

Kyle's POV

"So what did you get out of your visit to your dear girlfriend?" Brook asked me, and I shrugged.

"Not much really, it was mainly just an emotional relief to see her, safe and all. Although she did mention some mission or something her team was planning..."