23: Tour The Office

The group had left the room, with the plan thought through.  I thought I was going to fall asleep because of the dreary deails that the planning contained. 

The general concept was, I walk around the headquarter's perimeters, Kyle and five others get in, find the information, get out, and I was to evacuate as quickly as possible once it all was done.

Kyle had put up a fight, saying he was going to stay by me at all times.

"Kyle, we need you to get inside.  You're one of the best people we have." Brook had said.  "Besides, you'll regret it later if you didn't take this chance to get in their headquarters."

Kyle had looked at her, in a way he never looked at me, like they shared a mutual understanding of something.  He simply nodded. I wondered what they had communicated silently just now, and another twinge of jealousy bit at my chest.

"Theo, we're going to be in the lounge if you need us." Kyle said, and the three teenagers started filing out, Kyle ushering me out with him.

"Thank you, Cassandra." Mr. Reiner called over to me, and I stopped at the door, Kyle pausing impatiently next to me.

"No problem, Mr. Reiner. I honestly am glad to be of help."

"Please, call me Theo." He said, flashing me a friendly grin.

I smiled back, nodding slightly as I exited the room.  Mikey and Brook were looking at me, wide-eyed, but quickly looked away as if nothing had happened.  I would have been convinced nothing had happened if I hadn't seen their shocked expressions. 

"Theo likes you." Mikey told me, once we were out of earshot.

"Uhm...okay?"

"No, but seriously, he likes you.  He usually doesn't allow someone to call him Theo until after a year, and that's pretty early as well." Brook said, and I bit my lip, fighting down the feeling of being pleased. I glanced at Kyle, and he was frowning a little.

"What's the matter Kyle, worried you're not going to be Theo's favorite anymore?" Brook teased him, and he smirked slightly.

"Of course not, I'll always be his favorite.  I mean, have you met me?"

"I have.  And though I think you're dashing, you're too narcissistic and controlling."

Kyle rolled his eyes.  "And you're not?"

"No, I'm plenty narcissistic.  But I'm hot enough for it." Brook smiled deviously at Kyle and gave him the slightest of winks.  Kyle laughed, a little too loudly for my liking.

I could feel my blood start to boil.  They were flirting.  And Brook had a boyfriend.  How could she? And Mikey just watched as if it was a normal thing.  What was wrong with them?

Also, Kyle was childishly making a point not to talk to me, which definitely didn't improve my mood.  We made it to the lounge, which was more like a game room, with faint blue walls and fairy lights lining along the entire edge where the ceiling and wall met.  Plus, the entire ceiling was a massive window, which let in natural light from the ceiling.  There was a huge TV propped on one wall, connected to several gaming consoles, and couches in front of it.  A billiard table,  a foosball table, an air hockey table, and several arcade games were lined up against the wall. 

"Holy crap." I murmured, momentarily forgetting the jealousy I was feeling.

"Look at this." Brook said, and she took a remote control that was on the table, and pointed it against the wall.  Suddenly, the wall blinked into life, showing a sports program.