01: Rich People Party

I heard the clicks of high heels before I saw the person who was wearing them. I looked up to see my mom all decked and fabulous and not looking nearly as close to 45 as any woman had a right to. Her black hair was perfectly pinned up into a elegant knot at the back of her head and she wore a light yellow dress that wrapped around her perfectly.

"Ready to go?" She asked, reaching over to take her purse from the counter.

I nodded, and we went down our marble stair case to see my father and my brothers waiting there. The men of my family were all wearing fancy suits that probably cost $5,000 a piece and that didn't even include the shoes.

My father pecked my mother's temple and they smiled, turning towards the door. The servants at the door bowed slightly and pulled open the large wooden door that was the main entrance of our house. My parents, arm-in-arm, walked in perfect sync, as me and my brothers followed them.

A limo pulled up right when my parents' feet hit the last step, and our main driver, Henry, rushed to open the door for them.

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Heywood." Henry greeted, gaining an acknowledging nod from my parents. They slid inside the car, and my brothers were laughing at some joke as they sat behind my parents.

"Hi Henry." I said, smiling tightly.

"You don't really seem excited about this party, miss." Henry said with a hint of a smile.

I shrugged. "Well, technically it's a back-to-school party and school is nothing to celebrate about."

Henry chuckled softly and I scrambled into the car none too elegantly as he closed the door behind me. I sat on the seat behind my brothers, frowning at their immaturity. I couldn't possibly believe they were actually seniors this year. They were twins and perhaps the most popular boys at school. Personally, I had no idea why. Sure, they were good-looking, and funny, I guess, but they were downright outrageous.

Auden, the older of my brothers, turned to me from his seat in front of me. "So Cass, are you excited for school tomorrow?" He didn't ask it kindly, more in a mean, annoying way.

Before I could answer, Alec, my other brother, cut in. "Of course she is, she's so popular and she can't wait to see her friends."

My stupid brothers laughed and turned around. I rolled my eyes, not letting their teasing get to me. I didn't really have a true friend at school, because all the kids at school were snobby teenagers that bragged all day long.

However hard I tried, I couldn't fit in at my school. Everyone was so obsessed with who was richer and who was wearing better clothes, and it annoyed the heck out of me. Somehow, I grew up in the exact same environment as everyone else at my school but I grew up to be different from them.

I couldn't understand them, and they couldn't understand me.

After a thirty minute drive, our car pulled up in the parking lot of the hotel where the party was at. I took a deep breath before stepping out of my limo, my two-inch heels hitting the ground. There were paparazzis crowding around trying to get footage of the owner of Heywood Bank and his family. They bustled and pushed each other as my family and I walked briskly towards the entrance of the hotel. Not that I wasn't used to this kind of stuff; Heywood Bank was started by my great-great grandfather, and I was literally born into an elite life.

As we entered the ballroom, I heard animated chatter from the crowd that had already assembled there. Tables were set up, vases full of fresh flowers adorning them. A huge crystal chandelier hung from the center of the ceiling, lighting up the entire room with a bright orangish glow. Servants walked around handing out refreshments and small portions of food. I asked for a ginger ale, and it was delivered to me in a champagne glass. The liquid fizzed and bubbled, looking just like champagne, and I guessed they wanted to make me feel special and 'grown up.' More than last year, anyway, when I was a measly freshman.