20: Aftershock

"You don't have to go to school if you don't want to." My mom told me, just as I came downstairs with my uniform on.

I sighed.  "I don't want to go, but what will staying at home do?" 

My mom's lips quirked up.  "I suppose you're right."

I sat myself on one of the chairs in my dining room, furnishing myself with one of the waffles in the center of the table.  I covered it with nutella and whip cream, and started gobbling them down.

"I'd be careful about your weight if I were you." Auden's voice said from behind me, and I turned to glare at him.  But when I saw him, he had a friendly smirk on his lips, teasing instead of being simply rude.

I rolled my eyes, acting unaffected, and continued eating my waffles, though a little slower this time.

When I got into Henry's limo, Auden and Alec were already sitting there.  They glanced up to look at me.

"Morning." Alec said, and for a second all I could do was stare.  My brothers rarely greet me, what the hell happened?  Was it something to do with me getting kidnapped the other day?  I murmured a reply and got into the back seat.

* * * * *

"You came." Kyle said to me when he walked over to me as I walked into the school.

I shrugged.  "Why wouldn't I have?"

Just then my brothers patted me on my shoulder and said goodbyes to me, running off to their friends.

Kyle looked at them with a judgemental face.  "Becoming friendly the moment their sister's in danger, now are we?"

I laughed.  "It's stupid, I know."

"Stupid?" Kyle asked, sounding angry.  "It shouldn't take a kidnapping for them to start being nice to you."

I frowned.  "I know.  They've always been like that, there's no use dwelling on it now."  

I had often wondered why my brothers seemed to hate me so much.  I had never done anything bad to them, and I was always kind to them, so why couldn't they be the same way to me?  I stopped my train of thought; my life was stressful enough without my brothers' rudeness bothering me.

"Anyway," Kyle said, realizing I had thought on that subject enough.  "why did you come to school today?"

"I had all yesterday to rest, and honestly I'd rather keep myself occupied than dwell on...other stuff."

Kyle smirked at me.  "You are literally the only person who would ever come up with an excuse to go to school."

"Am not!" I shot back, "there are tons of people who don't want to get behind on their school work because of missing school!"

Kyle rolled his eyes.  "Nerd."

I glared at him.  "Jerk."

"You're terrible at come backs."

At that I had to laugh.  "Yeah I am."

The day went surprisingly normally.  I didn't know what I expected, people rushing to me to ask if everything was alright, or other black-suited, sunglass-wearing men surrounding me, or something.  But nothing peculiar happened, and I didn't know if I was disappointed or immensely relieved.

Before I headed to the dining hall for lunch, I walked over to the library to return a book.  I stepped inside, and there was no one there.  Even though the library was supposed to be a quiet place, it was never this quiet.  And the librarian wasn't there.  I instinctively held my breath to not make a noise.  I slowly walked over to the rack where we put the books we finished reading.  Then I heard footsteps from behind me, and I whirled around.  I gasped when I saw the librarian, holding a cup of coffee.