50: Scarlett Ribbon

I stood in front of Ollie's room, hesitating. This encounter could change my life, and even though I knew Ollie hated Roselle, I wasn't completely sure she would want to overthrow the Legion with me. They were family, after all. 

My hands were starting to shake, and I made a fist to stop them. I breathed in deeply from my nose. I had to relax. This is Ollie we're talking about. She has had my back ever since she lowered the gun from my head when we first met. I hoped this wouldn't make her raise the gun again.

I knocked, and a lazy "come in" came from the room. I opened the door, and saw books, notes, pens, post-it's, posters, and tons of other things scattered all over the room and the walls. The few times I'd been in her room it was spotless, and the disarray caught me off guard.

"Whoa," I gasped, "is this a bad time?"

"Nah, sorry I'm just working on a new project my boss gave me. It actually might have to do with your mission, I've been compiling data on some missing personnel that are wanted. You might have to hunt them down, but don't quote me on that. This is all super-classified stuff."

I sat down on her bed, and before I opened my mouth, I stopped myself. I took one of her sticky notes and wrote out, do you know if this room is bugged?

Noticing how serious my expression and note was, she nodded and grabbed my hand. I know a place, she mouthed, before dragging me out of her room. We followed a series of hallways, offices, and entered a dungeon-like basement where everything was damp and cool. I didn't know this place existed. And according to Ollie, neither did the Scarlett family members.

"During the extra time I have during work I tracked all the bugs and cameras throughout the Headquarters. This is the one and only place there's a blind eye and no voice recorders. I don't think Roselle even knows this place exists, the last account of this place I'd read was from the 1800's and they used to use it as a wine cellar. Ever since they discovered better ways to keep wine, I think they stopped coming down here because it was hella creepy down here. Anyway, what's up?"

At that moment, I had the most courage to come clean to her than I ever had. If Ollie is voluntarily searching for places she couldn't be heard or seen, she must be hiding something from the Shadow Legion. I didn't quite know where to begin, so I opened my mouth and let my subconscious take over.

"If I'm being honest, I'm still in love with Kyle."

Ollie's eyebrows furrowed, and even I was confused as to why I started speaking about him first. "Your ex?"

"Not my ex, still my present boyfriend. In fact, he knows about all my plans to run away, to come to Hawaii. He knows I'm here, and so does the Office—or, the Curtis Society."

"You told them before you left?"

"The reason for me coming here wasn't for me to become the next leader of the Shadow Legion. It was for me to be on the inside, gaining support from members. And with the support of the Office and maybe a fourth of the Shadow Legion, take down the Legion for good. Aunt Helen has been helping me through it all. Ollie, the reason she didn't want you to be the next leader wasn't because she's transphobic. It was because she wanted to convince Roselle that I'm the rightful heir. Because I have connections to the Office, and because I'm an outsider, I might be able to lead the revolt that would set the Shadow Legion back to being the Scarlett Legion. To make the Legion return to its original roots of what Sloane wanted."

Ollie's green eyes widened as she took in my words. Painful seconds passed by, as different flickers of emotion crossed her face.

"Please say something. If you're going to tell Roselle, at least give me a few hours so I can flee and maybe not be killed."

Ollie's face solidified into an excited grin, which immediately reassured me. "Holy shit! I knew you had to have some reason for coming here because you're not some power-hungry psycho, but fuck! This is better than what I could have thought up in my craziest dreams! You, the Office, aunt Helen? Shit."

I broke out into a smile, relief and excitement coursing through my veins, riding on the adrenaline. "So you're in?"

"Hell yeah! I didn't want to say anything to you, because you're the heir and I assumed you were loyal, but you have no idea how many things I've learned working in the classified offices. The shit the Legion does out there, it's brutal. This is a terrorist organization. And honey, I know dozens of people who feel trapped in the Legion because you can never truly leave here, but it physically hurts them everyday to help contribute to the horrors. I can spread the word. And they can, too."

My heart was racing, I could almost hear the blood rushing and zinging as I buzzed with excitement. The past three months I had been constantly hiding away, keeping secrets even from Ollie, while aunt Helen and I secretly discussed in private. Now that I knew this was really happening, the excitement that had been subdued for so long was about to burst. My true mission of me coming here was taking shape. But I had to keep my composure, I still had to be extremely cautious. 

"I want to make a sign of rebellion." I told Ollie, "I was thinking of, maybe tying a red ribbon on your wrist or hair, as a sign that they're on our side."

"A Scarlett sign, gosh that's brilliant! Let's do it." Ollie's eyes gleamed, and I knew I had an accurate intuition to trust Ollie. She was not only on my side, but wanted this revolt just as bad as I wanted. 

As soon as I got back to my room, I pulled my hair up in a ponytail with a bright red ribbon. 

The war is starting.

*****

Such a short chapter, but I had to update, because I was getting more comments recently and I wanted to let everyone know I am alive!! I know it's been forever since I updated, but the comments and votes really motivate me :) Thanks for the support, hope you enjoyed the chapter there will be tons more exciting events to come.